Ben
Ben asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 9 years ago

Need help cant decide MechE/ElecE/AutomotiveEngineer?

So far I have completed my NVQ lvl 2/3 aprentership in vehicle mantainance and repair, this was not so much to get me a job but it was to get me to know what money means and how it is to work, after I completed my aprentership for 2 years I started a mechatronics course, in this course I have learnt things like autocad solidworks maths engineering.

At the end of the year I get to decide to continue onto mechanical or elecrical engineering for the second year of the course, I can not decide because I like mechanical engineering and thought if I did that I could move onto automotive engineering in university but this is going to be something I am going to be doing all my life and I thought I would also look into electrical engineering.

I live in the UK and was wondering which has more job opertunities, electrical/mechanical or automotive engineer, also I want to look into electrical a little bit before I decide so is there anyone who knows what sort of things I would be learning in electrical engineering in a college course and what will it be like in university.

I heard it is hard to find a job as a mech eng and EE is harder but easier to find a job, my plan is if I cant find a job I would go open up a business, what sort of business could a electrical engineer or a mechanical engineer run, I have done my aprentership in the garage as a mechanic so could a electrical engineer do something like tuning cars by adjusting there electrical systems?

Sorry for the ammount of text but this is what I am going to be doing for the rest of my life and would like to thank you for all comments in advance.

Favorite Answer

If you are inclined with vehicle maintenance and repair, I think automotive engineering is the best for you. It's much easier to learn when you enjoy what you're trying to learn. Electrical engineers have good salaries, they are more exposed to danger in their field of work, so they are compensated well.

• kasab

I suggest mechanical engineering with its most diverse spectrum.

With your background, you would make a good automotive engineer should you choose to go back to this specialisation.