Once a movie is done filming, how long does it take to be released typically?

I was recently in an independent film, and I was wondering if there is a general timeframe. This movie stopped filming like thanksgiving time... Thanks! :)

• Neil
    Favorite Answer

The release date of an Independent Movie (after principal photography) is a lot different than a Hollywood Release.

1) A lot of indies use up all their funds shooting the movie so it might take them months, simply to find the money for film/ HD transfers, color correction, picture.sound edit, ADR, footsteps, final mix and music mix, etc

2) Even if the Producers have the funds it can take up to six months to complete these steps. It ALWAYS takes longer to edit a film, then to shoot it (at least, it should take longer).

3) Indie films have little or no chance of being seen in local theatres unless they do well in international festivals such as Cannes, TIFF and Sundance. Producers tend to gauge release dates with submission deadlines with these and about 20 other major festivals.

4) It is possible the film you were in was produced for cable, i.e. Sci-fi Channel, Lifetime, A&E, AMC, etc, and they tend to turn it around quicker. I am working on "Hell on Wheels" for AMC and the first episode came out within a few months of filming it. Just check the channel web-sites for release dates.

4) Your best bet is to find the Facebook page of the Production (every Production has one) and enjoy the promotional pics and trailers they release as well as the blogs and videos the Actors and Producers create. The fun part of being in the film is that you might be invited to the local premiere and be one of the first to see it.

Source(s): I work in the industry in Canada.

anywhere from 6-12 months.

2Mos., or depending on the season (Holiday)