Which scenario involves scientific research that is MOST LIKELY free from bias?

Which scenario involves scientific research that is MOST LIKELY free from bias?

A. A company that produces pollution funds climate research.

B. A scientist researches the illegal poaching of his favorite species.

C. A pharmaceutical company researches the effects of one of its cancer treatments.

D. A biologist publishes research that has been reviewed by others outside of her area of expertise.

I am guessing C?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I think D. There is nothing to suggest any particular bias at the point that the research is being carried out by the biologist and because those reviewing it not from the same field as the researcher, she is unlikely to know them or be skewing her results to what she thinks they might want to hear. Thus bias is unlikely.

In all of the other cases, the researcher has something to gain from certain results, which may lead them to try to conduct their studies in a way that makes the outcome they desire more likely to come about.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 8 years ago

This is a ridiculous question. All may or may not have some form of bias.

Just because a company pollutes and funds climate research doesn't mean that the scientists carrying out the research will doctor their results (although there's a good chance they will to secure future funding).

A scientist looking into poaching of his favorite species may be trying to get an honest assessment of the situation, or may be trying to influence laws to further protect the species just because he or she wants more of them around.

A pharmaceutical company has a vested interest in the public seeing its drugs as working well, but at the same time that doesn't mean they won't be honest about how well it works (like when it is honestly leaps and bounds better than the competition).

Although a biologist may have unbiased research, having it "reviewed" by people who are not experts on the subject will likely cause the reviewers to accept or reject publishing the research based on whatever preconceived ideas they held on it. For the biologist this means that it's either contort your findings to appease the reviewers or you won't get your paper published.

If I had to pick one, they probably want D, but it's still just a garbage question in my opinion.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

no not C because the pharmaceutical company will want their cancer treatment to work so they will be biased that way.

the answer is D because the bioligist's research is being reviewed by people that wouldn't necessarily know about the research ahead of time and wouldn't gain anything from reviewing it

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.