Sara Marie asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

why does my dog constantly chase her tail?

I have a 9 month old cocker spaniel and she constantly chases her tail. It wasn't cropped like other cocker spaniels when she was a puppy. It is so annoying because she whines like it bothers her and will press up against me to catch it. I'm always tripping over her. Is there something neurologically wrong with her? Also she's in heat, but she chased her tail before then. We are getting her spayed as soon as she's done, hopefully she'll calm down after that.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

All dogs chase their own tails but this behavior is most common in puppies. The amusing tail chasing behavior of puppies makes them even more lovable. A dog that chases its tail while playing is actually harmless and should not alarm dog owners. . On the other hand, if the tail chasing behavior of the dog becomes excessive it will become a problem.

Being social creatures, dogs would crave for attention. Dogs that want to have the attention of the family would do anything and that includes chasing their own tail. Whirling around to chase the tail would bring forth laughter from the family. Because of the attention, the dog will play up – continue chasing its tail.

Boredom and anxiety also make the dog chase its tail. Boredom will set in if the dog is cooped inside the house all day with no toys to play with. Chasing its tail is one way of fighting boredom. Nail biting or twirling a lock of hair around a finger are commonly seen in anxious people. Anxiety is another reason why a dog would chase its tail.

Tail chasing can be due to a medical condition. The dog may be weighed down by discomfort from internal and external parasite infestation or an impacted anal gland. Flea bites on the dog’s tail will be extremely itchy. The discomfort can be caused by an impacted anal gland or worms in the dog’s rear end. A dog trying to ease the discomfort arising from these conditions will chase its tail.

• 9 years ago

Often caused through boredom and she probably needs more exercise. Cockers are high energy.

This type of behaviour can become obsessive so don't allow it. Spaying means she can't reproduce it doesn't alter behaviour.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Its an OCD, caused by boredem, prey drive and lack of exersice. stop her everytime she does it, even when she fixate on her tail.

• 9 years ago

shes only a young age so shes very hyper, my 1 year old male can run in circles for hours

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Well she is still a pup, and she sounds very playful...her tail may be a bother to her because.she cannot get it, and it aggrevates her, lol.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

shes a cutey pie

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.