emjob
emjob asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 9 years ago

What makes a director YOUR favourite director?

I was thinking about this the other day and thinking WHY do I love certain directors? Do I take an interest in the way they film, do they push boundaries, are they cutting edge...or do I just like a majority of their movies?

So pick a few of your favourite directors, two or three or however many you like and tell me what it is about them, that you love :)

BQ: Do you think your favourite directors list will change much over the next few years?

Some great answers, thank you!

@Fappist, love your answer, very informative.

Umar, I know what you mean about weak brain cells, so glad it's Friday! Great director choices!

Thanks too V :) if you like Danny Boyle (I do too!) you should watch Sunshine, if you haven't already. It's my favourite movie by him and visually, very beautiful. Tarantino is a legend, very great director, very good writer. Hope you had a good night :)

((Logan)) two great choices! I love both Tarantino and John Carpenter, they've both made some of my favourite movies :)

@Blaire, interesting point but I'm not sure I entirely agree. Plus you didn't answer the question...

Hey Jon, how do you know you weren't thumbed down just because people didn't like your answer? Saying that a director's success weighs up how much you like him/her might not be a point that everyone agrees with, I know I don't! And the personality thing, I don't think that really comes into it either, it might make me feel more affectionate towards someone but not make a difference what I think about their movies. I mean, people still like Roman Polanski movies! Ha. That's cool what you said about Akira Kurosawa, I like dedication! (I gave you the thumbs up!)

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Hey Emjob :D

1. Danny Boyle.

He is in my eyes an amazing director and that is based off of just "28 Days Later" (which in my opinion is one of the best horror films of all time) and "Slumdog Millionaire". His directing is superb and I have yet to see "Trainspotting" and a few of his other films so I can get a full understanding and perspective on his directive architecture within film.

2. Christopher Nolan.

A truly amazing director who has delivered a masterpiece within every film he has made; "Memento", "Inception", "Batman Begins", "The Dark Knight" etc. whose storytelling ability is unmatched within modern Hollywood directors.

BQ: Yes, I think I might add Quentin Tarantino into the list along with a few other directors such as Darren Aranofsky, Stanley Kubrick and Steven Spielberg, I have yet to see more of their films to get a full understanding of their film making abilities.

- Have a good night Emjob :D

Unlike books, movies are meant to manipulate the viewer. Vladamir Nabokav said a good reader "in order to fully grasp the latter’s world, must stay aloof, or detached from his heart and emotions." But, directors don't give us that free will. We go to the movies to experience something that perhaps we would not experience first hand or maybe would want to. Directors show us the world through their eyes. They show us what they see, they bring us close to these peoples lives and if successful they are able to manipulate the viewer. I will only use two movies to prove this: Lolita[1962] and A Clockwork Orange where Stanley Kubrik is in full control of the viewers emotions. He makes us a pity a pedophile and hate his prey a girl taken away from her mother. This man killed this childs mother, so he could be with her. Yet, they viewer is able to sympathize with the pedophile. In A Clockwork Orange, Kubrik portrays Alex Delarge so repulsively that the viewer often forgets that he is just a teenager. Kubrik is a master of the arts and by toying with my emotions he makes me want to watch his movies.

If the director directs my FAVORITE movie

• ?

I like Christopher Nolan because he consistently makes really well-done movies. He casts well and his directing style is dark and edgier than you might find in most other mainstream hollywood directors.

Guillermo Del Toro is great because he's so damn unique. His character designs and the mood of his movies are all very distinct to him and him alone. I love it when you can immediately tell when a director had a part in a movie just based on a few clips from it.

Woody Allen is just an overall great director, his movies are consistently good, the scripts are well thought out and funny, the plot lines are often rather simple but executed in a way that gives you a sense for every little detail and emotion.

And of course Darren Aronofsky is great. He's a very edgy director who you can tell intentionally pushes the boundaries. Not afraid to make a more cerebral movie or stir up a little controversy. Plus he's a master of creating suspense and general mindfuckery if I've ever seen one.

• UA

Hi Emma :))

Good question...but involves pondering.....it is almost the end of the WEEK at office and brain cells are WEAK :(

As a result, I will list only 3 :

Steven Spielberg - I think he applies a lot of thought and finesse to the movies he directs and doesn't shy of experimenting plus he has a wider variety of genres to his name (thus #1 for me)

James Cameron - always a visionary, especially in the use of technology in his work and has delivered some extra-ordinary stuff.

David Fincher - great track record, I have loved all his movies I have watched so far, he went overboard with Benjamin Button IMO :))

BA : Not in immediate future, because all of them have good projects lined up and some interesting releases soon.

• Jon

I think there's a lot to take into consideration before deciding upon that. I'd say the director's success, filmography, style, and even the director's personality I think all come into account for me. I can probably say my favorite director is Stanley Kubrik. Pretty much every review website has at least one or multiple Kubrik movies in the top 100, and while he didn't do as many movies as some others, his filmography is pretty spotless, which I feel counts more. I feel like Kubrik's style is almost random, but calculating and full of detail at the same time, which appeals to me.

Another one is Akira Kurosawa, who directed Seven Samurai. He took what he did very seriously, actors actually had to LIVE in the same clothes as the characters in the movies. I think the dedication to the art alone is enough to make Kurosawa one of my favorites. Plus he's directed multiple classics.

Christopher Nolan is probably one of the best new directors of the last decade, so I think he deserves a spot. He saved Batman from movie extinction and turned it into something more than a super hero/action movie trend, so I think that deserves something. Not to mention his other movies are pretty good too and there's a lot of potential to do even more.

Well, that's about all I can think of right now.

BQ- I'm sure

Edit- I see Yahoo Answers hasn't changed much...Sigh...So now the movie section has TD trolls?

• Logan

Tarantino is one of them, and he pushes boundaries lol

John Carpenter because I love his movies and the fact that he started out so young and made a movie on a very low budget that to me is one of the most recognized movies ever. *drum roll* Halloween

BQ probably only to get older lol

((Emma))