Would it be a good idea firing the heaviest .45 Colt +P cartridges from a Ruger Alaskan?

First of all, I won't trust firing .454 Casull from a Ruger Alaskan out of fear of crimp creep; which would cause the .454 Casull bullets to be useless.

Second thing, the tough recoil from firing Casull rounds may be nasty.

I was thinking about firing the heaviest cartidge of the .45 Colt +P from the Ruger Alaskan; I mean cartridge weighing anywhere between 325 gr and 395 gr.

My question is: Would this be a good idea? Or would it badly affect the Alaskan? Are there any chances of crimp creep stuff as a result of firing 395 gr of heavy .45 Colt +P??

Please explain...

• DJ
    Favorite Answer

I've been shooting a .454 Ruger Alaskan since it was introduced. Most manufacturers realize that the .454 Cassull will have significant recoil, so they put on a pretty hefty crimp. For all of my own .454Cassull reloads, I use a heavy roll crimp, and have never had a bullet "slip" yet (consistent sound/report, and consistent velocities across the chronograph).

Frankly, the .45colt+P doesn't have the same risk of "crimp creep" as the .454Cassull, but crimping is always a consideration for all heavy recoiling handguns (and rifles).

You are correct, however, that the recoil of the .454 Ruger Alaskan can be pretty weighty.

For what it's worth, I would be more concerned with firing .45colt +P than .454 Cassull. In general, the .454 brass will be slightly thicker, with a thicker case head, meaning the .454 brass will withstand the higher pressure charges much better than the .45Colt brass. In general, when MOST reloaders produce .45Colt +P, they trim .454Cassull brass down the .45Colt length, rather than using the weaker .45colt brass.

Frankly, I've been shooting both handloaded and factory loaded .454 Cassull rounds for over 10yrs, I've mic'd my rounds after shooting a few shots to make sure my crimps weren't moving, and I chrony my loads often to make sure I'm not slipping. I never have had one move.

Source(s): I'm an avid .454 Cassull shooter...
  • Mr.357

You read too much crap. Shoot .454 Casull or any .45 Colt ammo that you want.