Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

7week old puppy was pooping blood took sample in for vet found out he had a bactera infection is this going to?

Be a on going thing? Is is it something to worry about? He is on med's and he seems fine for now

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Just keep giving the meds as directed, should not be an ongoing issue once the infection is gone, your pup should be fine.

Good that you took him right to the vet for fecal to identify the infection, pups dehydrate very quickly when they have a problem like this, so the meds are necessary.

Once the infection is gone, your pup should be fine. I'm sure the vet told you the importance of a regular, good diet, and that's probably all he'll need to stay healthy once he's well.

Note: No idea why you have a 7 week old puppy, that's young to be taken from mom and littermates, so you need to be extra careful with him and not take him out where other dogs have been until 10 days after his last puppy vaccinations when he has full immunity.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

Without more information, I cannot venture a guess as to whether this will be an ongoing issue... But it's always appropriate to be concerned and alert when your pup isn't feeling his best. You definitely did the right thing by taking him into the vet with a stool sample.

Continue following the vet's instructions and administer his medication as instructed until the medication runs out (it's tempting to discontinue medication when your pup starts to improve, but follow through with the medication until the end unless otherwise instructed by your vet). When you're out of the medication, call your vet and give him an update (whether he's feeling better or not) so he can determine whether your pup needs another round of medication.

Everyday, take note (even if it's a mental note) to how much your puppy is eating, how much he's drinking, his energy levels, his bowel movements, any obvious pain or discomfort... having details like this when you give up-dates to your vet are important. If at any point he stops taking food and water, or becomes extremely lethargic, call your vet immediately and schedule an emergency appointment.

• 9 years ago

If you continue the meds as instructed by the vet, it should be perfectly fine! It won't be ongoing if you use meds as directed.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Why not just ask the vet who is treating your pup? I'm afraid that I have no idea what a BACTERA infection is?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

It's good that he seems fine now..immunity can be asked?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.