How long is wikipedia going to ask me for money?

I love wikipedia, but I have to admit I am getting very annoyed by their enormous ad asking me for money every time I go to a wikipedia page... How long are they going to keep asking everyone for money? I'll bet they've gotten over 20 million dollars within the past month! Plus, how can they possibly need so much money when all of their articles are written by volunteers?

Favorite Answer

Server management costs. And they don't have advertisements. That's why they need donations.

• ?

Wikipedia has an annual fund raising drive during November and December each year. In the US, I have not seen the requests in several weeks. Without the fund raising there will be full time ads. The service does not run by itself. It takes staff, equipment and facilities to keep it going.

• Nunya

They will ask for donations until their quota is met. The quota keeps the website running until next years donations.