I can't afford going to college?

I think they should just provide college at a really low cost for families that have low income.

My parents wouldn't be able to pay for college every year. They probably earn 40,000 a year together even though my mom has a part time job and a full time and my dad just works full time. I know we aren't dirt poor, but compared to the people we know with good jobs, 20,000$ year income per person is not a lot.

If I were to go to an in state college it would be close to 30,000 per year and that's a lot. Financial aid could be an option, but I have no idea how I would pay that if I probably won't even have a good paying job until im 30.

I could find a scholarship, but I don't know of any that would be willing to pay that much every year. If I could get a scholarship that provides me with 1k, that would mean that I would have to apply for so many scholarships.

I really don't know what I'm going to do.

I never got good grades, but I always passed my classes.

I really want to get a doctors in psychology.

Favorite Answer

If you are still a high school student, talk with a high school guidance counselor and learn about your options for higher education. Also, learn what it takes academically to eventually earn the degrees to become a Psychologist.

Most likely, there is a good community college in your area, where the cost of attending will be more reasonable and where you can earn course credits that can transfer to a larger state univ. after a couple of years. If you never earned good grades in high school, then starting your higher education at a community college may be better for you.

If you hold conversations with a HS counselor be sure to learn the ins and outs of financial aid for college. Most likely you will be eligible for grants and loans. Learn about the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid - http://www.fafsa.ed.gov ) and how to go about completing and submitting it so you may be considered for college/univ. financial aid.

If you are no longer a high school student, you can go to your local public library and ask a reference librarian help you find good information about choosing the right school for you and learn about financial aid.

I also recommend you look at this home page for the well-respected US News and World Report web site on college education:

http://www.usnews.com/education

There are lots of links to articles with good advice.

To help you start learning what sort of studies and academic rigor will be required of you to become a Psychologist I recommend you read this from the Occupational Outlook Handbook published by the U.S. Dept. of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics:

Psychologists

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos056.htm

From the worries you state, it seems to me that you have not sought out and learned about college/university from the people who are there on staff to help you - your high school counselors, if you are still a HS student - or your local public library and the librarians there. If you are not mature enough to even do that, then perhaps working at a paying job for a couple of years after HS and before college will help give you the maturity you will need to do well in college. (I don't want to seem mean-spirited here. I want you to realize you have real flesh and blood people available to help you get up to speed on what you need to know about college.)

With a paying job (if you can still live at home with the parents), you will be able to save some of your earnings (save as much as possible - cut your on-going expenses) to help you cover college expenses once you start as a college student.

Librarians--Ask Us, We Answer!

Find your local Public Library at:

http://www.publiclibraries.com/

Find your College/University Library at:

http://lists.webjunction.org/libweb/Academic_main....

Best wishes

Source(s): Former college administrator + Reference/information librarian

Don't know until you try. If you set up barriers for yourself, you have more to climb. Instead, figure out what would make you a good student and a good candidate for a scholarship. (Scholarships and grants do not have to be re-paid.)

And what is wrong with applying for lots of scholarships? Think of it as your job, with a big pay-off if you do it well.

There are plenty of options. You could go to a community college which will be low cost and transfer later to a 4 year college. You could join the military, and then use the GI bill to pay for college. Or you could do what tens of thousands of other people do, go to school part-time, get a job and pay as you go.

But, the very first thing to do is to improve your current grades. Your school will have counselors and teachers who would love to help you learn how to study better and manage your time, (the single most important indicator of success in school.) They can point you to tutors and extra school work to help you master the subjects you are taking. Becoming a better student will mean you will get more value from college.

Finally, many schools work at bringing people just like you to college, working class first generation college students. If neither of your parents went to college, there is more scholarship money out there than you know about. Your new motto should be, "Somebody is going to get that scholarship money, it should be me!" Then work to make it happen. Just reach out and ask for help. It's all around you.

Well you should consider going to a community college for your first 2 years of school and then transfer to a University. If you aren't doing that well in High School. Then you're not going to be able to obtain a Doctorate in psychology and you would be paying 100-200k+ in school fee's which would mean you would be in debt forever. If you're parents have good credit then you can have them co-sign a student loan for you to cover your costs. You always have the Pell Grant (which provides up to 5500 a year), and Stafford Loan. With the Stafford Loan you don't need a co-signer or good credit but you DO have to pay it back. Just talk with a financial aid counselor and raise your concerns and they will help you.

Source(s): Going to school

I worked my way through school...the first year, only making about $11,000 working part-time. The other three and a half years, working rotating shifts, full time, as a police officer, and making maybe $25,000, supporting a family the entire time. No loans, no grants, no scholarships. But...I did have the old GI Bill.

Enlist in the military. That's how I did it. If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way.

Go into the military. They will pay for almost everything when u get out, and i think u even get paid to go to college. If u dont want to fight, go into a field that doeant have that like accounting. Or go into a field that has to do with what u want to do in ur future. U can take classes in the military that go towards college too:)

You don't have to pay right then and there to go to college. Just fill out an extension form(pay off later after college).

You can apply for a loan I did that and I got it and you an repay after you finish college and get a job

Uh. They do. Have you talked to the financial aid department?