Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 8 years ago

Why did Jesus pray to the Father?

THE BIBLICAL TRUTH:

WHY DID JESUS PRAYED TO THE FATHER?

This question was commonly asked by others who do not believe that God became 100% human (Jesus) and there was no God up there in the Heavens and on the earth for 34 years. May it be Trinitarian or Oneness believer were “confused” on the above-question.

Trinitarians, Catholics, Jehovah’s Witnesses, explains that Jesus being the second person of the Godhead was praying to the “Father” which is the first person that is also co-equal with Him.. meaning the Divine person praying to another divine person, which will end up that a GOD is praying to ANOTHER GOD… That is a very big LIE, if we really read and understand the Word of GOD.

Traditional Oneness (too many to mention) explains that Jesus is praying in His “DIVINE NATURE”, inside His Human nature, again praying to the Divine nature of GOD Himself, or funny it may be…SPLITTING CHRIST IN ONE PERSON.

I am not saying that Jesus Christ “faked” His prayers. Jesus is the TRUTH (John 14:6), who was sinless and no guile was found in His mouth (1Peter 2:22)

We have to understand , why did Jesus prayed to the Father.. Because He was in the “form of man” (100% man, no Dual Nature.. etc). He do not need to pray if He is 100% GOD. For GOD does not need to pray. His prayers proves to us that He is a GENUINE MAN like us when He became FLESH.

Being a man and a Jew, He had a faith as a Jew. And He was costumed in praying to GOD according to their tradition. Joseph and Mary taught that to Jesus beginning His childhood.

It is the duty of the parents of Jesus (Mary and Joseph) to teach Him how to acknowledge, pray and worship the ONE TRUE GOD (Deut. 6:4-7). So Jesus as a human being and a Jew always praying and calling on GOD (Father).

If ever He prayed to the Father is because that is the proper way to ADDRESS in the prayers of the Jews as they recognized God. And nobody ever addressed a prayer to the angels not even Jesus. That is why teaches us how to pray “Our Father who is in Heaven” (Matt. 6:9)

As the “TRADITIONAL “ teaching of many, that there was a GOD in heaven that Jesus called and Jesus was also GOD while He was here on earth. The it is very “confusing” that there is a GOD (Jesus here on earth) that prayed to GOD (Father who is in heaven), does this “level of thinking” harmonizes with the true teachings of the scripture? And when Jesus called to the Father (GOD) that “dwells” in Him, then again it’s very confusing that Jesus is praying to Himself. And also when Jesus called the Father (GOD) who “dwells” in Him, how would the Father (GOD) who dwells in Him would listen and answer?? For the DUAL NATURE will stand, it will require “NATURE SWITCHING.. FROM MAN TO GOD THEN GOD TO MAN in one period of time.

What I believe is that Jesus prayed in 100% human nature and without deity , and leaving us the right example in praying as written in 1 Peter 2:21… 21For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, LEAVING US AN EXAMPLE, that ye should follow his steps:

Personally, i believe that it was not a mistake nor a problem with Jesus praying to the Father while he is conscious of no God since he is doing what was PLANNED and JUST FOR A PERIOD OF TIME and for A PURPOSE.

If Jesus did not do all those things that He made, like praying. He will not be setting an “example”. . Problem arises in us because of our finite thinking about the plan of God in the days of his flesh, trying to understand it our own ways.

To put an end to this issue with what Apostle Paul said: Oh the DEPTH of the riches both of the WISDOM and the KNOWLEDGE OF GOD! How unsearchable are His judgments and UNFATHOMABLE HIS WAYS! (Rom.11:33). Really, GREAT IS THE MYSTERY OF GODLINESS!

...... FEAR GOD AND GIVE GLORY TO HIM!!!!

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Why should I fear my creator and give glory to him. I do not consider him to be a psychopath who has to be appeased with fear-full worship. This deity created all matter in the universe and does not need all this religious crap. That is the cause of religious wars. think of this, one God, thousands of different religions, all with a history of bigotry and murder. Religion is man made for men and little to do with God.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 8 years ago

You should always check your facts before publishing . Jehovah's Witnesses to not teach the trinity. The Bible clearly states that Jesus and Jehovah are two different entities...

Again you have to read the scriptures... “My Father is greater than I.” John 14:28

Colossians 1:15 says "He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation" So Jesus was the first born, but not in any way equal to God who has always existed.

JESUS often prayed to God, whom he called Father, and he also taught others to do so. (Matthew 6:9-11; Luke 11:1, 2)

“Look! I behold the heavens opened up and the Son of man standing at God’s right hand.” (Acts 7:56)

“Father, if you wish, remove this cup [that is, an ignominious death] from me. Nevertheless, let, not my will, but yours take place.” (Luke 22:42) If God and Jesus are “one in essence,” as the Trinity doctrine says, how could Jesus’ will, or wish, seem different from that of his Father?—Hebrews 5:7, 8; 9:24.

So as Nathaniel said, if Jehovah and Jesus were the same, how could one of them be aware of things of which the other was not? “Concerning that day or the hour nobody knows, neither the angels in heaven nor the Son, but the Father.”—Mark 13:32.

The Bible teaches that Jesus is the son and Jehovah God is the Father. Not the same person...that is why Jesus prayed to His Father. Thanks Nathaniel...

Source(s):

http://www.watchtower.org/e/20050422/art…

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Wow...you are right on target, except for the part where you put Jehovah's Witnesses along with Catholics and Trinitarians. You see, Jehovah's Witnesses do not believe in the trinity since it is not a bible teaching.

Jesus himself taught when he said: “My Father is greater than I.” John 14:28

Colossians 1:15 says "He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation" So Jesus was the first born, but not in any way equal to God who has always existed.

JESUS often prayed to God, whom he called Father, and he also taught others to do so. (Matthew 6:9-11; Luke 11:1, 2)

Stephen was granted a vision. He stated: “Look! I behold the heavens opened up and the Son of man standing at God’s right hand.” (Acts 7:56)

“Father, if you wish, remove this cup [that is, an ignominious death] from me. Nevertheless, let, not my will, but yours take place.” (Luke 22:42) If God and Jesus are “one in essence,” as the Trinity doctrine says, how could Jesus’ will, or wish, seem different from that of his Father?—Hebrews 5:7, 8; 9:24.

Furthermore, if Jehovah and Jesus were the same, how could one of them be aware of things of which the other was not? Jesus, for instance, said regarding the time of the world’s judgment: “Concerning that day or the hour nobody knows, neither the angels in heaven nor the Son, but the Father.”—Mark 13:32.

So really, Jehovah's Witnesses do believe that Jesus is the son and Jehovah God is the Father. Not the same person...that is why Jesus prayed to His Father.

• 8 years ago

So, you are trying desperately to make a case for Arianism which is a heresy condemned at the Council of Nicaea. Those that believe as you are condemned under anathema. Here is the orthodox Christian teaching instead:

We believe in one God, the Father, the Almighty, maker of heaven and earth, and of all that is, seen and unseen.

We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ, the only Son of God, eternally begotten of the Father, God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God, begotten, not made, one in Being with the Father. Through him all things were made. For us men and for our salvation, he came down from heaven: by the power of the Holy Spirit he was born of the Virgin Mary, and became man. For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate; he suffered, died, and was buried. On the third day he rose again in fulfillment of the Scriptures; he ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father. He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead, and his kingdom will have no end.

We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life, who proceeds from the Father and the Son. With the Father and the Son he is worshipped and glorified. He has spoken through the Prophets. We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church. We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins. We look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come.

God bless!

In Christ

Fr. Joseph

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Because Jesus is not nor was not GOD the Father but GOD the SON...

• 8 years ago

2786 "Our" Father refers to God. The adjective, as used by us, does not express possession, but an entirely new relationship with God.

2787 When we say "our" Father, we recognize first that all his promises of love announced by the prophets are fulfilled in the new and eternal covenant in his Christ: we have become "his" people and he is henceforth "our" God. This new relationship is the purely gratuitous gift of belonging to each other: we are to respond to "grace and truth" given us in Jesus Christ with love and faithfulness.45

2788 Since the Lord's Prayer is that of his people in the "end-time," this "our" also expresses the certitude of our hope in God's ultimate promise: in the new Jerusalem he will say to the victor, "I will be his God and he shall be my son."46

2789 When we pray to "our" Father, we personally address the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. By doing so we do not divide the Godhead, since the Father is its "source and origin," but rather confess that the Son is eternally begotten by him and the Holy Spirit proceeds from him. We are not confusing the persons, for we confess that our communion is with the Father and his Son, Jesus Christ, in their one Holy Spirit. The Holy Trinity is consubstantial and indivisible. When we pray to the Father, we adore and glorify him together with the Son and the Holy Spirit.

2790 Grammatically, "our" qualifies a reality common to more than one person. There is only one God, and he is recognized as Father by those who, through faith in his only Son, are reborn of him by water and the Spirit.47 The Church is this new communion of God and men. United with the only Son, who has become "the firstborn among many brethren," she is in communion with one and the same Father in one and the same Holy Spirit.48 In praying "our" Father, each of the baptized is praying in this communion: "The company of those who believed were of one heart and soul."49

• 8 years ago

I'm certain no one here will read this "question"

A better question might be why did you?

You DID read it... RIGHT?

Edit; (cherry picking at random) "He do not need to pray if He is 100% GOD. "

He did not need to be baptized either...but he was.

• Toky
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

I couldn't send my whole answer, so I published my answer here, read if you are serious:

http://fitarika.weebly.com/3/post/2011/12/jesus-pr...

Source(s): Reading the Bible, and continuing to learn each day.
  • 8 years ago

Sorry, that was too long to read, but it makes no sense, it's like saying that he prayed to himself. Either he was god or he wasn't , can't have it both ways.

• 8 years ago

Because Jesus Christ (may peace be upon him) was a prophet and not God.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.