Can you help me understand if i am on the right track?

hi, thank you so much for looking at my question. i am a sophomore at a public high school. right now, i have 145 hours of community service and hope to get at least 200 more before the end of the first semester of my senior year. i am in the board of directors in the interact club, a member of the french club, and hopefully a president and founder of the art club. also, i participate in indoor track, cross country, and outdoor track. I am a member of the national honors society and the social committee. i have a 4.3 GPA, taking honor classes, and plan to take A.P and college in high school courses next year. I have been selected for both the John Hopkins Talented Youth Program and the Leader America Program, which are both really prestigious. However, I have been unable to attend due to financial problems. Do you think that me not attending these conference even though i had taken the tests and passes would be a problem? should i include these programs in my college transcript. also, how much of a chance do i have in getting into a school like georgetown and john hopkins? what should i be doing different or be doing more?

Favorite Answer

I think that you have an excellent chance at getting into the great schools you mentioned as well as any other school you are interested in. A lot will depend on the SAT/ ACT score you get. unfortunately those tests can make all of the difference in if your application is even considered so I would recommend that you do your very best on those tests. I think you should include the aforementioned programs on your resume as long as you can find a way to explain why you didn't attend, perhaps in your essay. They can't hold it against you if you had financial difficulties. One word of advice would be to focus on depth in extracurricular rather than breadth. That means don't try to do as many things as possible, rather focus on leadership positions and awards in a few things.

• Joop

I dont have much advice really, you seem to be doing admirably on your own

All I'd say is that if you'd like to attend these extra programmes but cant afford to, then you need to tell someone about it. Maybe write to the head and explain that the reason you're not attending is not because you dont want to, but because you are struggling financially.

There may be grants or help with travel costs or something. These programs exist to bring out the best in youngsters, so its in their interests to help you

Damn. I wish I was this focused in High School. You should be proud of yourself. Sounds like you have a great chance of getting where you want.

If you know what you're worth, and it looks like you do, get that. Sounds like you deserve it!

It sounds like you are the perfect candidate. I say go for it:)