What is the best way to handle high strung horses?

I ride mostly on the trails at a barn that does not use groundwork or do much in the arena or lunge to "take the edge off." There are some highly strung horses there that we use for guided trail rides. I am a competent rider, but I wouldn't say that I am the most experienced, I have ridden horses that... show more I ride mostly on the trails at a barn that does not use groundwork or do much in the arena or lunge to "take the edge off." There are some highly strung horses there that we use for guided trail rides. I am a competent rider, but I wouldn't say that I am the most experienced, I have ridden horses that act up, buck, jig, toss heads, etc. Please don't say lessons, I cannot afford them and I already know how to ride.

Usually when a horse acts up I turn them in tight circles. I can't really make them speed up like I would for bucking, because I lead inexperienced riders who could not control their horses if I did.

My main question is how to calm down a nervous, prancy horse. Also, when we have to stop, there are some horses that you stop, and then they walk off when you give a loose rein or back up when you stop them again.
Update: The horses I speak of are not mine. Only people who work there get to ride these particular horses, there are other horses for customer use. The barn owner is an old cowboy who does not allow groundwork or lunging unless you own the horse. Also my question is about when riding a horse, how do you calm it when it... show more The horses I speak of are not mine. Only people who work there get to ride these particular horses, there are other horses for customer use. The barn owner is an old cowboy who does not allow groundwork or lunging unless you own the horse. Also my question is about when riding a horse, how do you calm it when it gets nervous. I need methods for when RIDING what do other people find that works for them.