What's The Tempest by Shakespeare about? Is it good?

The book was referenced in a video game I played and is therefore interesting. Please persuade me.

Favorite Answer

It is absolutely fantastic. One of Shakespeare's last great plays. Most of what he wrote after this was rubbish compared to the genius of this play.

The Tempest is a play by William Shakespeare, believed to have been written in 1610–11, and thought by many critics to be the last play that Shakespeare wrote alone. It is set on a remote island, where Prospero, the exiled Duke of Milan, plots to restore his daughter Miranda to her rightful place, using illusion and skillful manipulation. The eponymous tempest brings to the island Prospero's usurping brother Antonio and the complicit Alonso, King of Naples. There, his machinations bring about the revelation of Antonio's low nature, the redemption of Alonso, and the marriage of Miranda to Alonso's son, Ferdinand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tempest

It's brilliant and beautiful. An old man is living on an island where he was shipwrecked about 15 years ago with his baby daughter. he's a magician and has control over two beings, a monster whose mother was a witch who used to 'run' the island, and an airy spirit who is his slave until he lets him go. The play is the moment when this man, Prospero (= I prosper in Latin) gives up his magic, first causing another shipwreck (for his daughter, Miranda ['to be looked at' in Latin] is old enough now for a partner) from which a few nobles and others (among them a couple of really comic characters) stagger on to the island, magically confused at first, and everything changes for good.

wonderful wonderful wonderful

Source(s): I'm an English graduate, actress and writer.

It is about a wizard living on an isolated island with a beautiful daughter and a sort of monster he keeps as a servant. When a ship gets wrecked on the island the girl gets the hots for a young sailor. I can't remember how it ends

• Thomas

Shakespeare is only one of the greatest writers in the history of man.

It would be like watching Michael Jordan, or Mo-hammed Ali

Go for it.

Bri

I second what everybody else said, and I'll just add this: I'm only half joking when I say that I think old Will must have been high on weed when he wrote it :-) It's a crazy story, but fascinating, and has beautiful language.