What is seperation of church and state?

It is not in the constitution. Also, why is it that 90 percent of americans belive in a god of some kind, but buy into the idea that we all have to tiptoe around so as not to offend atheists and far lefties??

Just curious. I can already imagine the sparks of ignorance that are bout to fly.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Separation of church and state means that the government shouldn't support any religion more than another. It's another way of articulation the Establishment Clause in the Constitution.

90% may believe in a God of some kind, but only 50% are Protestent of any type, 21% are Catholic, another 5-10% are other religions (Judaism, Buddhist, etc) and the rest none of the above. Many Christians don't believe Mormons and Catholics are Christians. Many Christians don't believe in public displays of their religion, or object to displays of other religions.

The "tiptoeing around" is because idiots on all sides will object to something. Put up a pretty tree with lights? Some Christians object. Put up a creche? Some non-Christians and some christians object. Do nothing? Some people object. Local governments can't win no matter what they do.

Do what you want to on your property, your place of worship, or your businesses. If you see something from another religion, smile and wish them world peace. Don't fuss and think people are personally dissing YOUR God, but tax dollars shouldn't support any of them.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Mark
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

It doesn't matter that the words don't appear in the Constitution, the courts are correct to interpret the religion clauses as if "separation between church and state" is implicit. Nonetheless, you have a very valid point insofar as it is difficult to understand exactly what the expression means and to wonder whether it is being applied correctly and neutrally. I happen to believe that the "separation" principle means nothing more than that the institutions of government must indeed remain separate from the religious institutions so that neither institution can ever have complete control over the other. Government must govern according to the structure dictated by and according to the powers delegated by the constitutions, with three branches, legislative, executive, and judicial, and none of those governmental powers can ever be handed over to any church.

But, again, I do indeed why it is "we all have to tiptoe around so as not to offend atheists and far lefties." And I happen to be agnostic.

• John G
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

Church and state are the same. If not, answer me this........what religion does America choose? Christianity, America is a country filled with states, states that do what the christians say or want. There is no separation unless you're talking about Muslims or Jews, or Mormons for that matter.

muslims have mosques, jews have synodgogs or whatever and mormons have extra wives. Church means christian. Pt being, "church" means anything other than the church. Craziness calling the crazy crazy!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.