SCs - What is your favorite comfort food?

Now that it's cold outside, my thoughts go to warming soups, stews and chilies. I like to add hot spices to them, which seems to make them an even better warmer-upper.

What foods do you crave in these winter months?

Favorite Answer

Cajun/Creole food like red beans and rice, jambalaya and gumbo though I did just make a big pot of spicy chili con carne.

Source(s): I'm a Northerner who loves to cook and eat Southern food.
  • Larry

Nothing's better that a big bowl of homemade vegetable beef soup except maybe a bigger bowl.Of course it requires a splash or two of Tabasco sauce.

A bowl of chili or pinto beans and cornbread are also good comfort foods. Actually, I feel comfortable around most any food.

• Milton

Mine is the same as it was when I was 12: An american cheese sandwich with potato chips on white bread with Hellmann's Mayonnaise. I lived on them when I was a teen. Now because of cholesterol content, I have them as an occasional treat but I look forward to them with the same anticipation was when I had them for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I love my own homemade chicken noodle soup. I love no-fat turkey chili. I spice it up with extra cayenne pepper and cook in green and red peppers with the basic canned stuff but American cheese sandwiches, please. Put the last one in my coffin just in case...

Chicken pot pie, chicken noodle soup, chili, spaghetti with meatballs, ham and bean soup, roast turkey falling off the bone, chicken and rice with mushrooms, baked sweet potato, lentil soup, any chowder, baked salmon with garlic mashed potatoes, beef-barley-mushroom soup, warm gingerbread with baked apples, hot apple cider, and the Shrimp with Lobster sauce and fried rice from my favorite chinese take out restaurant........but not all at once.

I don't have a comfort food. In fact, I am the opposite. If I have issues that require 'comfort' I actually can't eat. If my stomach churns for whatever reason the last thing I can do is eat

• john

If the weather would dip into the 20's in Atlanta,I would open a can of vegetarian soup from Krogers.However for snacking;I like nachos with meat free chili slathered in jalapeno's.That seems to keep the cold edge away.

• Flynn

For whatever reason my comfort food of late has been Italian Wedding Soup.

1. Sauerkraut with ribs; sausages and boiled potatoes and corn muffins

2. Pasta

3. Bean soup

Apple pie, chile, pheffernuse cookies, and Kolachky, all favorites. Hot tea and hot Chocolate sound good on a cold winters night!

Nothing like fresh baked homemade bread right out of the oven!! It takes time but well worth the wait and patience!!!