How much should I charge for tutoring in French?

I am going to be teaching French to two home-schooled children, ages 10 and 11, twice a week. Im a junior in high school and i speak fluent French How much should I charge per hour?

Also, one of the children has trouble paying attention and following instructions so should I charge extra for that?

Favorite Answer

Together or separately?

You could speak fluent French but you would still need knowledge about grammar and spelling to be able to teach home-schooled children who need academic instructions to pass tests.

You should charge in the middle about how far up the parents are willing to pay and how far down you’re willing to be paid.

You don’t want to charge too much so you look like a good deal.

If you have to go to their place and they live in a rich neighborhood, you can charge more...unless the place looks like it is in shambles (divorce...death in the family...sickness...job loss...full gutters, unkempt lawn), so you charge less.

Also it would depend where you live (cost of living...State minimum wage...), if you go to their place or if they come to yours, if you have to prepare the lesson...

You should also charge for the time you’re travelling to their place and expenses incurred (if you do) and for the time you prepare the lessons (if you do).

I would guess that if one of the children has trouble paying attention, you need to prepare the lessons so they’re fun and engaging, like playing games...not boring and just about grammar and homework. You do not charge extra for a difficult student, you charge extra because you might need more preparation. But do not single him/her out.

I do not teach home-schooled children, because they need the boring academic teaching to pass exams later on and I’d rather teach using practice and playing games (so you learn how to speak the language, not about writing without making spelling mistakes). I do not give homework.

But I can help with homework if a student is being taught somewhere else and has to do homework.

I live in the US in a small city. My rates range anywhere from free for volunteering at the local school or for my neighbor’s kids or friends’ kids spending time with me, but we only speak French and if they say anything in English, they have to repeat it in French (some of those kids are pretty quiet!) to $20/$25 an hour for just conversation (no preparation there) with busy adults who already can speak some French but want to keep practicing it (use it or lose it) like an hour a week so they don’t forget it. And I’m told I’m very cheap (I take it as a compliment). Busy adults are not about to sit down and give you an hour of their precious time...they’re working, they’re cooking, they’re cleaning...but they can multitask and I’m there to blah-blah them into speaking French.

I had a beef with one of my kids’ French teacher (she was American and not a native French speaker) because she gave C and D grades to my son who speaks French fluently. I talked to her in French and I could barely understand her (I’m French but I live in the US) and had to switch to English. My son speaks French fluently and much better than his teacher but he got bad grades because he does not care about spelling or grammar.

My next son chose Spanish.

When I was learning English in France, I had such good grades in English that I won a trip to London (first time I took a plane). 3 kids per class got the trip. Once in London, I could not understand anything anybody said. I was an “A+” student knowing thousands of vocabulary words and all my 3 or 4 hundred irregular verbs that I could recite like a prayer and having vast academic knowledge about verb tenses but I could barely make a sentence.

My mother was the opposite. She taught herself English by listening to the BBC on the radio and reading books. But she could not speak English or even say the word “street” correctly or the “th” sound (forget about the word “through”). She could read books written in English and write English perfectly and listen and understand it but not speak it. She was a great help for my academic English homework.

Once, we were in London, I could not make a sentence (after 5 years of academic teaching) but she could but not pronounce it in a way that she would be understood, so she would say it to me, and I would repeat it to communicate with people (I could pronounce English sounds, due to my early exposition to Beatles songs...long story short).

One of my friends was from Portugal and came to France as a teenager. She learned French at school and with me while we were playing and biking around (she was my neighbor and my first experience of teaching a language to someone...there was no homework involved). She could not read Portuguese even if she spoke it fluently. I got her a job translating Portuguese documents (usually from Brazil, the largest country in South America) but she could not read them so her mother (who did not speak French but could read Portuguese) would have to read the document so my friend could translate it in French...but then she could not write French so I did it. It was kind of funny. Her mother reading the Portuguese document, her translating it to me in broken French and me writing it down in proper French with good spelling.