Conservative Christians: Is the personal morality of a president more important than his political positions?

Let’s compare Jimmy Carter to Ronald Reagan.

Carter is a decorated Navy veteran, who served as a Sunday school teacher throughout his life. Even as President, Carter prayed several times a day, and professed that Jesus Christ was the driving force in his life. Carter and his wife, Rosalynn, are also well known for their work as volunteers with Habitat for Humanity. He has only had one wife.

Reagan was an actor who was married multiple times. He was a practitioner of spiritualism and astrology. He attended church only sporadically in the early years and during his presidency he rarely attended church services.

If personal morality (faith) is so important to conservatives Christians, why did they overwhelming support Reagan? And for that matter, why do they love Rush Limbaugh?

Best Answer

There is a category of conservative Christians who will automatically vote republican without even investigating the positions of the two candidates. For example, I recall, in 1996, a local Baptist church where the members were supporting a republican for the state senate. It turns out that the fellow was pro-choice and his democratic opponent was pro-life. I alerted them to this, because no one had cared to check. Likewise, for some Christians, Rush Limbaugh is a hero of their faith – when he’s proven drug addict (in remission now) and a serial womanizer. Sadly, they don’t care to examine his personal morality because he tickles their ears with nice sound bites.

The problem is this:

I do not expect anyone in a position of great worldly political power to be moral all of the time. When I want someone who I expect to be moral all of the time, I go to my priest, who has always advised me NOT to get involved in the matters of state other than going to vote.

As an Orthodox Christian, I also do not trust the "faith" of President Carter. It is far from what was practiced in the days of the church fathers.

Source(s): Russian Orthodox

I want it did no longer rely some candidate's faith, as spelled out in Article 6, in spite of the undeniable fact that it does. seem on the flaps remodeled Obama's faith recently, Romney's Mormonism and better returned, JFK's Catholicism. He had to make a speech on it himself. George Washington does not stand a gamble in the present day. He became a Congregationalist who left centers in simple terms formerly communion, which he felt to be barbaric cannibalism.

True Christians do not involve themselves with politics. So it really doesn’t matter. But I should state that neither Carter nor Reagan were part of the true congregation of believers. Reagan seems to be pagan, while Carter seems to be Baptist.

Do you really think that Mr. Carter never did anything wrong? Faith in God and personal morality is the basis for for my political stance.

Don't type so much next time, Christians have the attention span of 5 seconds, Lets compare,

OOH A SQUIRREL.

I've got a twenty pack of Limbaugh paper i use right know. Mr. Limbaughs face is on each sheet and i only use it for heavy jobs! It's what i bought him for. What he's good for.

If Christians are gullible enough to believe in talking snakes and a Jewish zombie who will make people live forever simply for believing in him, they are therefore gullible enough to be fooled by deceptive politicians.

The only consideration Christians have when voting for a guy is "Does he hate n***ers and f***ots as much as I do?"