Temporarily moving to Oakland for work?

The bad news : My bosses are moving me from safe Portland, OR to the place Gang Wars had a two part special on... Oakland, CA.

The good news: I'm in charge of finding the fully furnished and equipped apartment for me and two other people with a budge of $2500.

The Question: Does anyone know of a good place to look for an apartment in a good neighborhood in Oakland that would lease out for 4 months and have all the furnishings and utilities available? Looked on craigslist and it seems almost impossible to find what you are looking for unless you are familiar with the areas. Thought I found a wonderful place then found out it was in Southwest Berkley between Nimitz Freeway and MLK. I was told to stay out of that place since Im not the tallest or biggest girl and still get mistaken for a 17 yr old @ 27. Any help not getting murdered is appreciated! Thanks

Favorite Answer

Check out Air BNB. I just had a look and found a three bedroom, fully furnished, in a decent neighborhood (I used to live on Lake Merritt) for $2000/month. These places are "vacation" rentals and I doubt that they get a lot of activity..so, I would suggest negotiating with the owner. If you are looking for soon, you prospects at making a better deal are enhanced because who comes to Oakland? especially in the winter? Happy hunting.

Source(s): I use Air BNB for flats in Europe, South America.
  • Flower

You can look for Extended Stay America which is a residential hotel. I agree with CHRIS about Lake Merritt.

If you look at Craigslist, look for temporary rentals and sublets or even a share because all places have a 1-year lease.

You could work in Oakland without living there. There are parts of Berkeley that are not good also. I suggest Rockridge area of Oakland or near the UC Berkeley campus. Do not find anything in West Oakland or Richmond.

There are nearby towns like Kensington, Albany, El Cerrito that are all right for you alone. They are pretty much like close-in S.E. Portland (Sellwood, Hollywood, Laurelhurst, Belmont)

Such a drama queen...

Most of Oakland is a very safe area, just as safe as most of Portland.

You are going to be hard pressed to find a fully furnished 3 bedroom place that will rent to you for 4 months for only $2500 a month. Your best option is to your the corporate apartment services but I doubt anyone will have anything close to your desired price.