How do you ask a guy that you used to have a relationship with that you want to be friends?

Its a long confusing story but, there's this guy that is a good friend of my brothers. We had a relationship last summer, but it didn't last long and just kinda ended. Neither of us broke up with each other, we just stopped dating I guess. I don't really know why, I still really like him. But thats not the point. I just want to be friends with him again. Where I can talk to him and joke and all that. How could I text him and tell him I wanna be friends without seeming like I want to have a relationship again or seeming desperate? Thanks.

Favorite Answer

start slow. be nice to him. Say hello. Make small talk. maybe have lunch with him. Just make sure no to be flirty or lead him on. Treat him like you do your other friends