Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicClassical · 9 years ago

should I quit the piano?

First off, I do not like the piano, i never have. I am busy afterschool and sometimes on weekends. I just took the grade 8 abrsm piano test and failed and do not know if I want to continue. If I do continue, I will quit right after I finish the grade 8, is it worth it? Should I go another 4 months until the test? I really need help. I am 14 year old boy in 8th grade right now

Favorite Answer

I can understand disliking an instrument so much and wanting to quit. If you can, and if you dislike it so much, I say go ahead and quit. If you think that you will end up failing the test, then it's probably better if you don't take it. You may end up finding that you actually like piano once you aren't structured to a rigorous practice schedule. That's what happened to me; once I could play when I wanted, and what I wanted, I really liked piano. Don't torture yourself going through something that is so abhorrent to you. That being said, if you think there's a chance you might pass the test, go for it! At least you'd be going out with a bang! ;-)

Source(s): Myself, a pianist and musician of several years.
  • Of course you can stop. If you've put in time and effort and it doesn't seem to be working for you, you can try something else. It's not like anyone is forcing you do try these things. You can do what you want, as long as it will make you happy.

Well, i agree that if you don't like it, then don't do it. Why did you start playing in the first place if you don't like it? But really it doesn't matter what anyone says, the decision is all yours. Don't let anyone else's words influence you to make the wrong decision. Whatever decision you make, make sure it's the decision that makes you happy. :)

if you dont like it dont do it.