I'm starting to want to just give up on art. What should I do? :(?

My main area is portraits & my dad has been taking too much advantage of it. He never cared in the first place & even told me i cant make a career out of it. One day he called me from work & told me his boss wanted a drawing of her & her husband done by christmas. At the time i was working on one already for someone else. This was in the beginning of december. His boss was right there when he called so i was put on the spot & agreed to do it. My dad said she just wanted it done in time for christmas. Well, now my dad expects me to have it done by the end of this week! Its a ful body shot so thats fairly new to me. I havent even had the chance to start it since i was busy with the other one! Hes ruining something i used to be passionate about & he straight out told me he doesnt care. The drawings arent even for him! The ppl im doing them for are paying me. Today my dad had the nerve to tell me the one i finished isnt good enough. Hes not the artist! Drawing seems like a chore more than anything now.

Favorite Answer

Don't give up! If you love art, and enjoy doing it, then stay in art. Tell your dad to beat it! It's not his career or his life and he is ruining art for you. You should never give up on something you love to do because someone else takes advantage of it or hates it.

• Lessy

Good god. Tell him to shut his trap. Move out or something. Try not to think about what your dad said and find other people to praise your art, since it seems like his lack of enthusiasim for it is what is getting you down. If you have a deviantart account or post some here we can all say how awesome they are and give you REAL constructive criticism and hopefully pick you back up :)

Have a brake from everything and just go back to it when youre ready, but never give up!