T asked in Science & MathematicsChemistry · 9 years ago

Chemistry 1-2 Need HELP naming chemical compounds!?

Please help me... I'm not sure how to find out the chemical compounds of these elements and the other way around... So please tell me how solve the problem and give me ALL the answers please! This would be really helpful because I need to know it for my final coming up!!! Thank you! :)

Name the following compounds:

1) RbBr

2) Ca3(PO4)2

3) NiF3

4) Sn(NO3)4

5) FE(C2H3O2)3

6) K3P

7) N2O3

8) Cu(NO2)2

9) P4Se3

10) (NH4)2SO4

Write the formulas for the following chemical compounds:

11) lithium bromide

12) beryllium nitride

13) carbon tetrachloride

14) dihydrogen monoxide

15) copper (I) posphate

16) magnesim sulfiate heptahydrate

17) lead (II) phosphate

18) diselenium diiodide

19) disilicon hexabromide

20) copper (II) phosphide

Favorite Answer

In naming ionic compounds (1 metal+1 non-metal), the metal name always comes first, followed by the non-metal with suffix -ide.

For example in 1) RbBr, Rb is Rubidium and Br is Bromine. So RbBr is Rubidium Bromide. Another example would be KCl which is Potassium Chloride.

In naming compounds that contain 1 transition metal+1 non-metal, the rules are a bit different. In question 3) NiF3 which is Nickel and 3 Fluorine, the transition metal comes first then the non-metal. However, you have to find the charge of the 3 Fluorine in order to find the charge number for the Nickel. Because Fluorine has a charge of -1, 3 Fluorine must have a charge of -3. Therefore, the Nickel must have to have a +3 charge in order that the net charge of the entire compound is zero. NiF3 would be written as Nickel(III)Flouride. The number in the parenthesis is the charge of the transition metal. Another example would be SnI4. Sn is Tin and I is Iodine; therefore the name of the compound is Tin (IV) Iodide.

For naming of molecular compounds (2 non-metals), the names include how many of that atom there is in the compound. Like in N2O3, the name of it would be Dinitrogen trioxide. The second non-metal still has the suffix -ide. (Mono is 1), Di is 2, Tri is 3, Tetra is 4, Penta is 5, Hexa is 6, etc. Another example would be Se2S6, which is Diselenium Hexsulfide.

Then there are the compounds which have "polyatomic ions" which is a lot more complicated... I don't think I can explain this well enough by word...

Anyways, try this website which will probably provide better and more thorough explainations... http://chemed.chem.purdue.edu/genchem/topicreview/...

Here are the answers:

1) Rubidium Bromide

2) Calcium Phosphate

3) Nickel (III) Fluoride

4) Tin Nitrate

5) Iron (III) Acetate

6) Potassium Phophide

7) Dinitrogen Trioxide

8) Copper (II) Nitrite

9) Tetraphosphoride Triselenide

10) Ammonium Sulfate

11) LiBr

12) Be3N2

13) CCl4

14) H2O

15) Cu3(PO4)

16) Mg (II) SO4 (H2O)7 ... this one I'm guessing a bit...

17) Pb3(PO4)2

18) Se2I2

19) Si2Br6

20) Cu3P2

Hopefully I don't screw up your finals... this is my practice for my finals as well, so thanks~ ^^

Good luck!

Source(s): Chemistry 8D

you know you could just type the compound on the internet and it will tell you straight from a website..lols.