Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 9 years ago

Why do my friends think philosophy is stupid?

Okay so I'm 14 and I'm extremely philisophical and whenever I say something related to it they think it's stupid why

Favorite Answer

I'm 20 and you will soon come to realize that people enjoy being in their personal self-brainwashing acts as to how they want to view society, and most cannot mentally handle excavating the depths of life and reality. People think it's wierd and not normal to ask the big questions and discuss them in depth, because they are to emotionally attached to their societal ego so they can feel they are Special*.

I don't think philosophy to you is the same thing to them. Philosophy to them is alienating idea. The people they admire never spoke of philosophy, and one one in their social group will respect them more for learning philosophy. They enjoy criticising new things because it makes them feel smart and they like everyone being closed-minded and conforming with the subculture they live in. Why? Because they can relate to the subculture they live, and the subculture makes sense to them.

I'm going to play devil's advocate and assume that they don't think you're stupid, but rather arrogant and self-indulgent. But that's why you come here, right? Because instead of eyes rolling you get ten people to tell you that you must be ever so much more clever than your vapid friends. Enjoy.

They don't think philosophy itself is stupid, but your decision to try to force so much of it on them at once is a stupid strategy socially and conversationally, because it won't convince them to become philosophers unless they are ready for it already.

I'm assuming you're friends are the same age, and if so you are just more mature. I wouldn't recommend studying it for a job as there's not much you can do with it besides teach.

Because they have brains the size of peanuts... of course they'll say its stupid when your talking about something they cannot grasp....known fact... stupid people say stupid things.

Not everyone's a philosopher, and not everyone's mature enough to appreciate that it takes every kind of people to make what life's about.

their minds are too small to handle such intense concepts. in a year or two they will probably enjoy it. you keep right on being philosophical, most people will find it interesting.

Because your friends are too shallow. Its sounds like you need to change your friends.

Your friends are just not interested