Pescatarian, how should I tell my parents?! HELP.?

How should I tell my parents? I'm doing it for ethical reasons, but I have anemia (low iron), and i'm very active. I'm almost positive they think it will affect my ability to preform my work and activities. I'm going to my pediatrics tomorrow for a pitching injury..should I ask her about what I should eat to maintain healthiness?

NO SMART ANSWERS.

Favorite Answer

While your mom is making dinner, just tell her. If you don't make a big production out of it, neither will she.

I don't get the ethical reasons, since fish are still farmed the same way as with factory farming. It's called aquaculture. Much of the pink of salmon raised in aquaculture are dyed via their food. If you're doing it for ethical reasons, you have to tell her which species you're still OK with eating. If you don't do your research, you're not making any difference, you're just transferring any of the perceived cruelty from the land to the sea.

As for not enough iron: eat more beans. And fruit. The vitamin C in fruit helps with iron uptake. And avoid eating iron rich foods (dried fruits, green leafy veggies, beans) with calcium rich foods (milk, nuts), because calcium blocks iron uptake. It's not that big of a deal, but try if you can help it.

And yes, you should ask your pediatrician for recommendations for what to eat. If you have low iron, you obviously need to learn more about nutrition.

Source(s): http://apps.edf.org/page.cfm?tagID=1220 <--which species you should eat, which species you should avoid, if you're truly doing it for ethical and not health reasons

If you are worried about iron make sure you eat plenty of green veg like kale and spinach, pulses, dried fruit. Dark chocolate and liquorice are also useful sources.

You could try asking your paediatrician, he or she is not a dietary specialist but it may set your parents minds at rest. Really, pescatarianism is no big deal.

are you now a pescaterian?

if you are, just tell them dont sweat it, maybe wait till there in a good mood.

dont listen to the people below, being a pescatarian is better than an omnivore, right?

Tell them WHAT ??? HAHAHAHA.

Ethical? You are killing and eating animals for ethical reasons?

HAHAHAA! What the hell. That's a good one.

lol, pescatarian