Disk Drive C: is red, i need help!?

my c: drive is red with

used space: 287 GB

available space: 297 GB

I used disk cleanup 2-3 times and its still red and the amount has not changed at all is there something i can do to fix it?

i just got it back from the repair shop about half a week ago.

but it wasn't because of viruses or anything like that only the laptop keyboard, cover, and sound. needed fixed.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It seems most likely that you have actually used that much storage space. If that is somehow not the case, I suppose it is possible that a defective hard drive could cause the false report, but I can't think of that ever happening except for when there is a corrupt partition and usually the computer won't work at that point. So you may want to search the hard drive for large stores of data, like in a torrent folder if you have one.

Red merely means that it is nearing its maximum capacity.

• 4 years ago

Assuming you're working abode windows, pass into C:windowstemp and delete something you are able to from there. Then, open information superhighway Explorer and delete all temporary information. that ought to furnish you some area. THEN, you need to locate all of the stuff that ought to no longer be on a C: force, like MP3s, photographs (JPGs), notice information, etc. and pass them someplace else (like a CD, DVD or exterior force). in case you acquire a team of application, you in all risk have ISOs floating around, or extensive setting up EXEs - pass them off the C: too. ultimately, if there is application you put in yet do no longer use, uninstall it. finished C force is why the pc is quite sluggish.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Delete stuff you don't use anymore

Go to Control Panel>Programs>Uninstall a Program

Here is a good place to see almost every program on your PC, so just uninstall the ones you don't really use anymore.

Also check your downloads folder. A lot of junk can end up there.

Or you can just get another hard drive, if you want to cough up a few bucks.

• 9 years ago

Once C drive becomes red, it means low disk space. Is there any other partitions on the same hard drive? If so, you can resize partition: shrink other partition to generate unallocated space and add them to C drive.

http://www.partition-magic.org/res/extend-c-drive....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.