Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMen's Health · 9 years ago

WHY CAN'T I BUILD MUSCLE??!?!?!?

I have been working out at home for 8 months now. I work out every other day for 1 hour in the morning. I start with 100 pushups, do bicep curls, bench (a little), arnold press, french press, sometimes straight bar curls, rows, dips, and decline pushups every other day. I always do enough to tire myself out thoroughly, I know I am using the correct weights (able to do 5-8 reps for each set at a max, 3-4 sets). I take whey protein powder and I drink a lot of milk, eat a lot of protein, etc. I don't care about having washboard abs, but I want to put on a lot of mass- I'm still really skinny and I look horrible. What am I doing wrong? I work so g******* hard and I don't see any results. Like nothing.

One thing I have been curious about though is that I never get sore the day after, which is worrying? Am I not using the correct rep/set ratio?

I am 15, 6' 2", 150lb.

• c90
    Favorite Answer

Muscles haven't fully developed yet, so you're probably trying to build something that just isn't fully there yet.

In the meantime, maybe you need a more properly structured workout. Try "You Are Your Own Gym" by Mark Lauren. Bodyweight/high intensity interval training and some good coverage of common myths, especially with nutrition. It also covers how to gain lean mass (or to lose weight, depending on goals) using proper nutrition.

Also, your attitude may be the most at fault. If you workout thinking "I look horrible" then you're not going about it the right way. And it's not just you. Thousands of people are out there doing certain fitness things they saw on TV because the beautiful people on TV are doing it. Try the book above and see if it works for you, but make sure you're doing all of this to live a healthy lifestyle and to keep yourself fit, not just to "look better."

Your last sentence answered your question.

Your muscles will not be fully developed until at least age 16.

You cannot enlarge muscles that have not completely developed yet.