Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

What best describes your opinion of missionaries - helpful folks or meddlesome interlopers?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

"Meddlesome interlopers" is putting things far too mildly.

Irrational and delusional nutcases who can't stand anyone who thinks differently than they do is more like it. Harmful, dangerous, obsessive, and idiotic.

"Most bring..."

No, *most* do no such thing. The few that do often require anyone getting "benefits" to join up to their church first -- flat-out bribery.

Peace.

• Nick
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Both types exist. Missionaries who try to help the locals e.g. by providing schools are the good sort. The bad sort are the ones who try to force their religion on others, like those fools interfering in Afghanistan and putting the lives of the soldiers in danger

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Historically, the were much worse than merely "meddlesome".

These days they are largely just people-there's good ones and bad ones.

• 9 years ago

Helpful. Even if they don't provide all of the physical needs of the natives, their very presence is a benefit to the communities. I.e., they collect resources and spend them in those needy areas. They are frequently the basis for improved education and health.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Well meaning folks who keep people up to date with Bronze Age thinking.

• 9 years ago

I know it's patriarchal, but I still like the missionary position. It's just, well, natural LOL.

• Shooty
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

Most bring technology, fresh water, education, and jobs to the communities missionaries visit.

• 9 years ago

i think it can show good sign of faith but personally i don't believe in forcing your religion on someone else. ( its their culture and values so i say leave them be). But its different when you are giving them food water clothing, etc

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Missionaries are horrible people who hold food, medicine, and basic human needs hostage in exchange for obedience to their ridiculous faith.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

50/50!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.