Child support question?

My ex got married to his girlfriend because they found out she was pregnant (he's military and she needed the health benefits) AND they found out he's spawning twins. So next year his family size goes from 2 (himself and his daughter from a previous relationship) to FIVE!

Does this change the amount I get in child support? I'm afraid it does... Drastically. We have 2 children together.

I live in Michigan. The tribe lives in Georgia.


I work full time and go to college part time. My children and 14 and 10.

Update 2:


4 Answers

  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    It will change, but not drastically.

    Source(s): I went from two with my son to five with my husband, daughter, and nephew and my obligation to my son went down slightly while his father's went up slightly. Not even enough for either of us to worry about.
  • 9 years ago

    My first comment is to DM. Really? The guy is a jerk because he got divorced and decided to move on with his life? I guess after you get divorced you are not supposed to have a life, get married again, and have kids? Give me a friggin break. Don't hurt yourself when you fall off your high horse, and you will!!

    Now to answer your question. Most states it goes by income only and then arguments to raise or lower go from there. Nothing will change though unless he files for a reduction in the state that has precedence over this case. He will then have to go in front of the judge and explain his reasons why he wants it reduced. You will also be allowed to be there stating your case why it shouldn't if you so choose. The judge will make a judgment from there.

    Ps. I love how you described the as "the tribe"

  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

    I would ditch 'bitter' and move to a better place emotionally.

    SHE is no different than you- a Mother of his children.

    Both of you were fool enough to have children with this guy. Stop acting like she's any less of a person than you are.

    His income will be reviewed and your children will get their fair share of what he's got for them.

    I recommend that you get a job. If you need a better job- do that. If you cannot work because your children are young- upgrade your education and skill set during this time.

  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

    The amount of child Support you receive goes by how much the father makes. If he now has another child to care for than he will have to pay equal amounts for his two children.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.