What is the best kind of 4 string Bass Guitar?

Looking for a good bass,any ideas? Brands please

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

That's like asking what's the best flavor of ice cream. Some people like jazz tone, some like precision tone, some like wide chunky necks and some like fast slim necks, some like active electronics and some prefer them passive.

There are premium boutique bass luthiers like Fodera, Sadowsky, and Ritter. Those will run you over $2000. Musicman, Rickenbacker, and the higher-end Warwicks, MTDs and Fenders will run you $1000-2000. More mass-produced instruments fall in the $500-1000 range, Fenders, Yamahas, Schecters, Washburns, etc. There are budget brands, often cheaper versions of the bigger brands, under $500, like Squier and Epiphone. Finally, there are CMBSOs (Chinese made bass-shaped objects) which will cost around $100 and are usually crap. You see them all over ebay. The one shining exception are SX basses, which are very cheap but usually still playable quality, at least with a good setup.

There is no one best brand at any price point. It's largely a matter of style and preference. If in doubt, I'd generally say that Yamaha is a good all-around reliable brand with reasonable prices. If you have $500, try a BB424. If you only have $150, get an SX. But if you have $5000 to spend, you might enjoy picking up a really cool Sadowsky or something.

You can't put numbers on quality, but if you could, I like to think of it this way; every time you double the price you can an additional 10% in quality. So if we scored a $100 bass as a 100 in "quality," a $200 bass would score, 110, $400 = 121, $800 = 132, $1600 = 145, etc. Yes the more expensive bass really are better, it's a question of how much better you need and how much you're willing to spend for it. And it does depend on what you like; there are expensive basses I haven't liked because the neck was too thick for me or I don't like the active electronics or whatever. Go to a store and try some out.

• 9 years ago

Best for what?

You're better off:

1) getting an established brand bass (i.e. Fender, Ibanez, Warwick, etc.)

2) trying out several of those brands models & going with the one that plays & feels best TO YOU.

Even then, part of the puzzle is the amp you'll be playing through. A spectacular bass can't totally overcome a very crappy amp.

• 5 years ago

Need more info , if you could post a picture that would help a lot. sorry

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.