Recently, my internal hard drive crashed...can I recover the files?

I replaced my crashed hard drive. I bought an enclosure for the crashed hard drive so that I could connect it via USB.

Everytime I connect it, it slows down my computer DRASTICALLY. Sometimes if I wait a while it will finally pop up and tell me I need to format the drive. I don't want to do that because there are SO many files on there that I just CAN'T delete.

So, my question is: If I go ahead and reformat the drive, will I be able to recover those deleted files with a file recovery program?

Thanks

Favorite Answer

"Sometimes if I wait a while it will finally pop up and tell me I need to format the drive" - then the hard drive is beyond repair and recovery for the novice. Only a professional recovery service would be able to save your files. Professional recovery is very expensive. (A co-worker of mine spent over $200 to get his photos back).

If you format the drive, everything is gone!

The drive is beyond the point where you can recover it with hardware and software you have at home. Take it to a professional data recovery service, they know what they're doing.

It is ok to do a quick format before attempting data recovery often preferable as it sorts out the file table. Data recovery programs do work i use Easues it has got data off well messed up drives

http://download.cnet.com/Easeus-Data-Recovery-Wiza...

This lets you recover only 1gb for free, there lots of free data recovery programs out there best to google it, it does depend on the damage to the drive but i would say you a very good chance of success

• belva

sure you will get well your documents. attempt this out and notice if it works. receive a Linux stay Cd image(ubuntu, mint, or all people you go with for merely make useful that its a stay cd) burn the image to a cd. whilst it is finished, boot up the Linux stay CD. After it is completly loaded up (it particularly is assuming your utilising ubuntu) bypass to places > laptop > and discover your 250gbpersistent. From there you would be waiting to get entry to all your documents so which you will replica them over on your new exterior complicatedpersistent. in case you have any questions or concerns be at liberty to e mail me.

The recovery programs on the whole do not work. Format, finished.