Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 9 years ago

Re-dying my hair; should I do all-over or touch up this time?

I've dyed my hair since 8th grade(I'm a junior now). I'd dyed it lightish blonde since then and this summer, dyed it auburnish medium brown. But since I was dying over blonde color, it faded quickly to a ginger color. Then when I redyed it, I treated it as an all-over coloring like it was the first time.

This time, it faded a bit, but not as much. The directions say to do a touch-up and do the roots for 25 minutes, then the rest for 5, but I'm scared it might not work as well.

Since it faded a bit, should I put it on all of my hair for more than 5 minutes? Thanks!

Favorite Answer

Nether.

I've responded to many girls (guys now too) under 15 experiencing in hair loss since 2009, due to hair straightening, relaxers and hair dyes. Women 60-90 have those same symptoms but it took them years to get there. But for 15 & under, giving advice here? They can't predict the future of their hairs, until they're in their 30's, but 15 & under with hair loss? C'mon! I've responded 7 in 2 hours 9-3-10, (before school started) 4 in 1hour 3-5-11 alone. 3 in 1hr. 8-8-11, 6 in 15 mins. 11-10-11.

One Example: Last month, around oct 5th, I decided my husband and I were going to be tinkerbell and peter pan for halloween. I have really dark hair. I tried to dye it blonde. Tried 3 times in two days to go blonde. Nothing worked. So I wanted to go back dark. It took me two dyes to get it back to black. So that's 5 times in about 3 days. A month later, my hair is falling out in crazy amounts.

What can I do to stop it? ??? I'm going crazy over this!

Playing with chemicals is not like playing with clothes, or doing a manicure, there are penalties for playing chemicals in the lab. Even hair color experts at the salon are not rocket scientists, they do a bang up dye jobs to their clients or their own hair.

Example: "My hair is right about armpit length as it is, but I've severely damaged it by bleaching it all at once. As a student of cosmetology myself, I would have to say that it was probably one of the worst mistakes I could have ever made."

Another example: ok i did my hair yesterday i DIDN'T bleach it ,but im not sure what its called but she took the color out of my hair and then dies it a blond color and my head was on fire it killed me so after that i hated my hair color so i colored it my self a darker color, it looked so ugly and it burned me again it rully hrt so after i washed it my mom checked it for me and found small spots of blood all over my top scalp like over 20 of em now im scared and don't know why its there is it from the color am i sick and something is wrong ??

Chemicals can enter the body through the skin.

Google: Teen 'feared she would die' after reaction to hair dye

The allergic reaction was caused by a well-known brand of semi-permanent hair dye Chloe used to turn her hair black for a Hallowe’en party. . . . . called for beauty bosses to ban hair dye chemical PPD (para-phenylenediamine) from the shelves. 11-04-11

The chemical is not new and is present in a number of brands of dark hair colours, acting to help adhere the dye to the hair so that it doesn't wash out. It’s made from coal tar and is used in both permanent and semi-permanent hair colours. It’s well-known to be a cause of serious allergic reactions -- including something called contact dermatitis which can lead to rashes, blisters, and open sores.

PPD is sometimes added to black henna tattoos and that using them is not safe. Allergic reactions usually begin within two to 10 days following application. One bad reaction can lead to sensitivities to other products such as hair dye, sunblock and some types of clothing dyes. Oftentimes, it's using the product a second or third time.

Google: A 38-year old mother left in a coma after using hair dye. 11-22-11. SHE DYED HER HAIR MANY TIMES BEFORE, USING THE SAME BRAND.

Permanent black hair dye is linked to causing leukemia and lymphomas.

Sources:

Google FDA.gov & search for Hair Dye & Relaxers.

Google: Hair Dye FAQ's Are Hair Dyes Safe?