Kip asked in Social SciencePsychology · 9 years ago

Is it bad to be labeled a non-conformist by your school?

I recently found out that administration and the teachers at my school have labeled me a non-conformist. I don't even know why, considering I don't do any of your typical 'non-conformist' activities. I just keep to myself and avoid contact/potential influence from others.

To clarify, I don't care that I've been labeled as such, nor do I even want to exude the effort to make an attempt to clear my name. I do, however, want to know what the possible consequences and backlash this label can subject me to.

Favorite Answer

It depends whose opinion you're seeking about this. An employer might think so. But if you were trying out to be in a band, then they'd see it as a GOOD thing, I bet.

As for future jobs, many companies, esp. social networking and youth-related companies are LOOKING for non-conformists, like trendhunter.com, based in Toronto. They specifically look for young, open-minded people who spot new ideas, products, etc. (1)

I was labeled as a non-conformist and was very proud of it! Still am. Who wants to be a sheep?

I don't think it is a bad thing, I was a non-conformist at school too. I know my opinion is in the extreme minority when it comes to this kind of thing, but I think it is good to be a non-conformist in many ways. Besides, you can't change who you are, and conforming to an ideal would mean you are going against what is natural to you.

The idea that we should have to conform to a conservative ideal of the ideal employee is what schools want to indoctrinate into children, but the truth is, after you leave school there are more options than to simply go to university and start at the bottom of a career ladder. You can do all sorts with your life, some people are creative, some academic, others prefer to do other careers that don't particularly conform to either of those.

In the end, you just have to look to what you want to do in life and work towards that. Schools are formulated to get people to be as economically valuable from an employment and career perspective, but if you want more than that then being a non-conformist is not such a bad thing. It just depends on what your goals are in life.

Well I guess non-conformist doesn't care about that.

Source(s): I've been called a non-conformist myself. I'm a proud one.