What would cause a TPS to go bad multiple times?

I have a 93 grand prix 3.1L that i have had for a few months now and after searching i found my TPS is the source of a lot of problems. Something is causing it to go bad like a short in the system or something. My question is what could cause them to go bad and how can i fix/ find it?? please help all my points goto best answer..

Favorite Answer

The TPS works off a 5 volt referance signal that the PCM needs for fuel control. The best way to test is with a DVOM, to see if sensor is being over powered. Also check for resistiance with a OHM test. If being over powered, tracing wire to the sorce is time consuming but you may have to do it.

Its has a wiring issue.It may not be grounded or the wires (there should be 3) are not hooked up correctly.Some one may have fooled around with it and screwed up the order that the wires go.First get a manual(Hanse at any AutoZone or PepBoys) and look up the colors of the wires to make sure they are the right ones.(sometimes theyre black,purple and green) If that doesnt work have a side mechanic check it out because it might be simple.If that doesnt work go to the dealer

Source(s): ASE certified

I got this off of ehow.com.. it may help you out here.

Maladjusted TPS

If GM TPS sensors have any inherent flaws, it is a tendency to slip out of adjustment. Though this can happen to any car, many GM owners have reported such a failure. The TPS must be adjusted (rotated) so that it reads idle and full-throttle positions properly, or it may appear to be malfunctioning. Try adjusting the TPS before replacement to save a few dollars.

the wires going into the tps maybe lose and causing weak voltage readings, you checked the voltage base and output? how about pcm voltage? if your sure its the sensor failing it could be bad installation ( sorry but they are mega sensitive ) or a bad gasket or o ring letting carbon or gas foul the tps form inside.

Throttle Position Sensor Failure

It has to be the power going to the wiring harness or something to do with the wire itself

I dnno.