Why do people get so offended because I'm quiet?

Oftentimes, relatives and acquaintances think that I don't like them because I don't talk to them much. I can't help it that I'm a naturally shy/quiet person. It's just who I am. Should I explain this to them? I think they view me as stuck up and it makes me really upset, because of the complete opposite of that.

Favorite Answer

Hello,

I'm the same type of person to be honest. I'm not so incredibly great at meeting new people, and socializing all that much, and I am also given a label by some people as "shy" and "he hates everyone." Really though, you should confront them telling the acquaintances you're naturally a shy person who doesn't normally socialize all that much. That's what I had done to remove the ice that seemed to be floating under my feet when it came to a subject like this about me. Or, you can choose to not say anything, and not care what they think of you. Of course, this wouldn't help your ego, but is easier than being a little weird walking up to them and saying your normal or something :P

Hope this helps.

They probably get offended because of their own insecurities. I would not tell them anything. If these are people who know you somewhat, they're already aware that you're not too good with words. Work on yourself instead. It's great to realize that you are naturally a quiet person, however you can still remain yourself while becoming a more confident and assertive person. There are many ways of doing that. For example you could read books on overcoming social anxiety, listening to motivational speakers, or simply by forcing yourself to talk to people even if it feels uncomfortable. Soon it will become much easier and more natural to create or become part of a conversation.

I have the exact same problem omg! Definitely tell them. Say that just because you're quiet doesn't mean you don't want to talk them, it just means you're quiet and it's nothing personal. Maybe if you smile more it will make you look more friendly without having to talk and stuff.

Yeah I'm naturally shy and quiet too. Just tell them that you're more of a reserved person, and prefer to keep to yourself. Good luck :)

I am the exact same way. In fact, my friends gave me an owl persona, because "you don't hear me until it's too late." I do talk to them some just not in big crowds, I would explain if you feel comfortable about it.

HuH?...i wish youd be quiet.....you make too much noise and were designed to be quiet for primaraly this purpose....your self absorbed to the point you think people actually care why your choice to be a hobbit gnome is completely un american.....well i say tellem all to jump in a hefty sack !..

You come off as rude for not being social and interacting with the people who are around you. They probably think your snobby and arragont for thinking your too good for them.

Tell them you're friendly inside your head.

i know how you feel -__-