?
? asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 9 years ago

Should i learn a second language before i enlist?

I'm nearly 16, and I plan on joining the army next year (active duty), then going into special forces training and I'm just wondering if I should learn a second language, and what language I should learn?

Favorite Answer

You'll probably pick up on a language if you're stationed anywhere very quickly, trust me.

Well first off, why enlist? If it's because you can't get into college or can't afford it, there are other ways. If you just like military life (how could you know anything about it at 16?) you should find someone on active duty near you and have some serious talks. While admire your assumption that you will not only qualify for special forces but actually graduate from training successfully, there are some statistical doubts about that, and you should take them into account while planning your future. If you still plan on enlisting and you actually make it through training, Arabic would be a very useful language to have a head start on. If the military wants to use you in a capacity that requires a foreign language you will be sent to school for language training, but a head start never hurts. Good luck!

Nick, I'm assuming you are going to enlist as soon as you can after you turn seventeen. You need to be at least that old to enlist. Also, you're going to need your parents to sign off on your enlistment. In the mean time, the best way to prepare is to get in the best shape you can and also work hard in school. Elite units like the Special Forces, Rangers, Marine Recon, SEALS, etc. want SMART guys, so score well on your ASVAB. A second language is not necessary, though.

Nick,

Most GIs stationed overseas do not "pick up" the local language easily. The phrases that you do tend to learn are often not used in polite company. At least that's my take on 11 years overseas in Europe and Asia. If you're interested in the "Language De' Jour" check out the link below:

http://www.training.sfahq.com/language_training.ht...