Fox asked in Cars & TransportationAircraft · 9 years ago

What is the technical term for the Helicopter Engineer/Mechanic field of study?

What is the technical name for a helicopter engineer? Is it Aerospace or Aeronautical Engineer or perhaps Rotorcraft engineer? What is the field of study? Also what colleges offer specific classes for becoming a helicopter engineer? Thanks

3 Answers

  • FanMan
    Lv 5
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    Aerospace or Aeronautical Engineering (the same thing, really; it just depends on what the school calls it... contrary to what the other poster said it's not that one is undergraduate and the other graduate study) is the field of study to design a helicopter, though a Mechanical Engineer would likely be designing some of the internal mechanism.

    To work on and maintain a helicopter you'd need an Airframe & Powerplant (A&P) mechanic certificate.

  • ?
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

    Aerospace engineers would be the guys who design the mechanical parts of the helicopter like the blades, airframe, skids etc. Aeronautical engineering is the grad program that you go into once you have become an Aerospace engineer and want to work with planes and the like, I think. Avionics would be the study of the controls in an airplane. But there is no special class for being a helicopter engineer.

  • 9 years ago

    Aerospace engineering can be considered a blanket term for the study and design of atmospheric and space vehicles. Aeronautical engineering is specifically the study and design of atmospheric vehicles, which is what helicopters are. The specialty is a sub specialty of mechanical engineering, and a lot of the systems design of helios and planes are done by mechanical engineers. there are no specific majors for "helicopter engineer", so you can consider mechanical/aerospace engineering programs.

    A helicopter mechanic in the USA has to go to Airframe and Powerplant school or the military. InEurope they are called maintenance engineers.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.