Self-defense in school not allowed?

At my school, it doesn't matter if your attacked or you attack somebody else. If your caught fighting, you face the same consequences. Your supposedly suppose to flee. Somebody in my school was caught fighting in self defense against 3 other people and they all got suspended for a month. Is this fair?

• lcr000
    Favorite Answer

because instead of teaching people to stand up for themselves you must cower like a child so Law enforcement or the school administration can stand for you and tell everyone what a great job they did, it is only going to get worse, because after a while you come to believe that it is true that the law will protect you until that one time when you are on a dark street late at night and are attacked, so then you have to wonder I know that this is against he law but there is no one to protect me, and you end up getting hurt or killed because you have been taught NOT to defend yourself.

No, it isn't fair. It doesn't take into consideration a person's inability to flee or to have anywhere to flee to. The school only has that policy so that they aren't placed in the position of having to try to determine who started the fight, then being sued or such if they make an incorrect determination. This way the school can state they meted out punishment without prejudice.

It also doesn't compel bullies from not preying on those weaker than themselves, especially if the bully doesn't mind getting the punishment for fighting. So it instead punishes the person being bullied on top of the bullying they received. They are in a very real way being additionally bullied by the school if they receive punishment for attempting to defend themselves, which doesn't say much for a school's anti-bullying campaign. And by instilling in a child that they should just take the beating and not fight back, then they are insuring that child stay weak through not taking away their instinct to defend themselves, maybe even leaving them to despair more concerning their own safety. With bullies having to take some account for kids who commit suicide or self-harm, then the school can be held accountable for putting the kid being bullied into this precarious position as well.

It is not fair at all, my school was the same way when I was in highschool. The school officer told us if we were in a fight we had two options;1)Just take the beating or 2)Try and run away BUT if we defended ourselves we would get a ticket as well and be suspended!

NO! THIS ISN'T FAIR! what if they corner you, you have no where else to go and they start kicking the **** out of you! this isn't fair at all!

i don't think its fair. my school is the same way