Do affluent suburbs usually have poor areas?

It's normal for an overall wealthy city to have a very poor area, but is the same true for suburbs? I've never lived in a suburb, so I'm asking on yahoo answers.

Yahoo suggested me to the politics section, so I'm asking here.

• Thalia
    Favorite Answer

No, that would be very unsual.

Poor people are usually priced out of affluent suburbs because of property values and the local taxes that have to be paid on those properties. Most affluent suburbs are pretty exclusive.

Also suburbs can transform. Like an inner city suburb might transform into an exclusive one as increasing property prices and redevelopments drive poorer people out. I've seen this happen in several areas of my city.

• John

Well im guessing your American and im not sure about America. However in Britain there are basically 4 kinds of areas. Run of the mill middle class suburbs. Then there are council estates which are the British equivalent of a housing project-you know government housing for poor people.

And then there are posh areas for well off people, and super posh areas for rich people. Middle class suburbs are often near council estates, and also usually have an area where there are less well off people living; but which are not really that bad. However well off areas are more isolated and far away from ghetto places. And rich areas are often hidden away usually on the edge of a city in a place where there are lots of trees, and which are far far away from poor areas or even non rich areas.

Yes, the same is true for suburbs. The main line outside of Philadelphia is one of the wealthiest areas in the country, yet they still have areas that are poverty-stricken, unfortunately.

Source(s): Have seen it with my own eyes

sometimes, but they're called "suburbs" for a reason. BTW, Dallas is a major metropolitan area, so the first answerer made one critical mistake

not really, Dallas Ft Worth has some really scummy parts, but if you go out to North Richland Hills, you won't any poor people except for the cops that patrol it.