Why, when people are looking for professional services, they only look at the price?

When people are searching for a service, why do they only think about the price and not about the quality of the service? It seems that most people try to compare a used Honda Civic with a New Mercedes S-Class..... Sure, the Mercedes costs more, but look at what you get compared to the Used Honda.

The cars were only used as an analogy...

Favorite Answer

Well, to stick with your analogy, some people only need basic transportation... why would they spend many multiples when they have no use for the additional bells and whistles?

To pull away from the analogy a bit, you seem to be a frustrated service provider. This puts you in good company. Marketing small businesses can be difficult, and service businesses even more so. Two tips around quality that I can share are as follows. First, it is very rare that someone will pay top dollar for the very best when "good enough" will do. Think of yourself. Maybe you personally drive a Mercedes vs. a Honda, but are you reading this on a top-of-the-line, $3,000 gaming computer, or are you on a laptop or desktop that cost a few hundred? Is your refrigerator one of those with an LCD display, 4 compartments, adjustable cooling zones, etc., or is it a normal one with a fridge and freezer? No one can afford the very best of everything, and the odds that your customers are going to splurge on your particular service are low.

Second, as a professional, quality is not a good marketing differentiator. People assume that anyone who is a doctor, lawyer, accountant, etc. can churn out a service with appropriate quality. Even worse, most laypeople can't tell the difference between a good professional service and a great one. Given that, why would they pay for the great one?

You should consider working with a marketing consultant to really hone in on a value proposition that speaks to your customers. If you're a do-it-yourself person, I'd recommend Harry Beckwith's "Selling the Invisible". Great insights on marketing services.

Good luck!

Hondas are fairly reliable automobiles, and not everyone has the money to drop on a mercedes... However, there is obviously a market for that thing, as mercedes would not be in business if there were not. If everyone could easily afford a mercedes, I'm sure they would rush out and buy one, also, consider that the money you drop on a car is less that can go to work for you right away.

EDIT: My bad. I was using the cars as an analogy as well. You must admit the honda civic is not exactly bottom of the barrel, though I personally have trouble fitting in the front seat. It is well known that you get what you pay for. If it were not there would be no eating establishments aside from fast-food.

In fact, in the music industry, from what I hear, it's pretty well known that you NEVER sell your work short, either give it away for free or demand the highest amount you can squeeze out of people, because if you do not people will take one look at the price and say "Na, that can't be any good.".