Should I major in Chemical or Environmental Engineering?

I am interested in Environmental Engineering, but I think that career is too specific and if I ever wanted to switch into another career (especially in the engineering department), i'd be screwed. My mom thinks I should major in Chemical Engineering, but I honestly don't know how difficult that will be.

I'm currently duel-enrolled at a small community college. So far, i've taken College Algebra which wasn't so hard. I'm going to take Chemistry and Trigonometry next semester and Calculus during the summer. I took Chemistry in my tenth grade year and I loved it! It wasn't hard for me at all. I took Physics my eleventh grade year (last year). It wasn't too difficult, but i'm not going to lie and say I enjoyed it.

What i'm saying is that i'm a little undecided as to what I should do. I'm not worried about the job outlook or salary because I know both are pretty decent. Please, help me out. Give me some pros and cons of the two or something. I just need some information to decide which one is better for myself.

From what I researched, ChemE would generally be harder, but choosing EnE could lead to a life of misery if I wanted to change courses.

I'm stuck, confused, and need guidance.

Favorite Answer

Most importantly, among all the engineering specialties, environmental engineering is least likely to lead to a good job or to any job. The problem is that it does not focus in depth on an engineering specialty but tries to address engineering issues in the context of a broad societal agenda. For this reason it is often not respected by other engineers who do not consider the education for it to be rigorous enough. Employers want to hire engineers who have in depth skills to solve specific problems, such as developing cleaner fuels, not general ones like cleaning the environment.