Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsGeography · 8 years ago

What do the conflicts in Xinjiang, Chechnya, and Quebec have in common, and how do they differ?

i need a whole paragraph please help me

Favorite Answer

I think I've answered this question twice already, and I don't understand why the system doesn't seem to accept my answer.

These three conflicts each involve an ethnic minority that speaks a language different from that of the politically dominant group in a big country. The Uighur in Xinjiang, the Chechens in Chechnya, and the French-speaking Quebecois have all at various times sought independence from the Han Chinese, the Russians, and the English-speaking Canadians, respectively. A big difference is that violence in Quebec has been minimal, violence in Xinjiang has been moderate, but violence in Chechnya has included two outright wars, one in the late 1990's and the second in the early 2000's. The Canadians have accommodated the French-speakers by allowing French as an official language of Quebec. The Chinese used to be more tolerant of the Uighur, apparently, but recently have been more aggressive in demanding that the Uighur "assimilate." The Russians pretty much lost the first Chechen war, leaving Chechnya somewhat independent, but the Russians re-established control in the second Chechen war and were happy to use the excuse of the US "war on terrorism," since the Chechens are Muslims.