Jasmine asked in PetsDogs · 8 years ago

Do Corgis make a good pet?

I'm 18 and am moving out within the next year with my boyfriend & we both want a corgi so bad!

Do they make good pets? Are they friendly dogs?

Thank you!

Happy Holidays!

I did not ask this question so that people could criticize me as to why I shouldn't move in with my boyfriend, whats it to you anyway?

I asked about a dog!!!

Best Answer

I agree with much of what was posted before me. Make sure you have the time, the patience, and the commitment to take a dog into your lives. Just moving means you'll be going through the stress of moving. This moving stress can sometimes last months after a move. It's not a good time to bring a dog into the home. Likewise, you'll want to make SURE you guys will be together for the long run OR make the decision to make one person permanent owner of the dog. Not trying to be a negative Nancy, but this will prevent fighting for "custody" of the dog if you ever did, god forbid, split up. Fact is, though, you're still young and a dog is a HUGE responsibility. And I've seen it happen often where a couple (both young and old) get a dog/cat/rodent/bird/etc and split up two years down the road and both attached to the pet, argue over who gets to keep him, and one ends up heartbroken.

Now, onto the question, yes, Corgis make great companions. Are you asking about Cardigans or Pembrokes, though, as there are slight differences in both looks and personality. My experience is solely with Pembrokes as I've never known or owned a Cardigan. Pembrokes are very, very intelligent dogs but can, also, be a bit... stubborn. (Not exactly the word for it, but it's the only word I can ever think of to describe it) Many of them will only do tricks if you offer them something in return, even. They are very intelligent. My Corgi X seems to take after the corgi a lot in that respect. I recall once, asking her to "Sit Pretty". She knew I had a piece of cheese. She could smell it. She was so excited, though, that she kept falling over from excitement. Finally, after about five minutes, she stopped... ran to the couch, jumped on it, and leaned against the back of it "sitting pretty". I was laughing too hard to correct her, besides, she'd done what I asked, hadn't she? She finally got the cheese. They're a bit sensitive, so a gentle hand is needed with them. Train-ability is often said to be easy but I'd describe it as more moderate as their "stubbornness" requires a very patient handler. They pick up on commands really, really fast, though, once you learn how to get through to them. Some of them pick up commands during the first day, maybe even the first few times. They're very loyal and in my experience, tend to bond with one owner over the other. They will grow close with the rest of their "pack", but I always find they favor that one person more than everyone else. Despite seeming like a "small" dog, they're very active. My Corgi X requires much more exercise than my other small dogs and can easily give my APBT a run for her money when it comes to walking and running. Both Corgi breeds can develop problems with nipping at heels but with proper training this can be fixed or even prevented. They're social and if properly socialized, can be quite friendly. (However, not properly socialized are prone to barking) I hear Cardigans are a bit more independent. Having no experience with them, I'm not sure how true that is. They both have very healthy appetites and will eat you out of house and home if you let them. So, their food intake should be VERY carefully monitored as obesity is a VERY common problem in them and similar to dachshunds, can be bad for their backs.

• dusty

Are Corgis Good Dogs

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Do Corgis make a good pet?

Thank you!

Happy Holidays!

Source(s): corgis good pet: https://shortly.im/MoZdT

Arrrgh. OK, here goes.

No. Corgis can be incredibly destructive and tough - cute as they may look.

Notice the Queen of England has a very large house, more than one actually, and a big yard.

She walks them out in the fields wearing boots. Like I said, tough dogs. She does NOT keep them in an apartment, nor does she keep them inside all day to wait until HRH is done with her day - she has a Staff. Some of that staff is devoted to Corgi Care.

Now, onto your living arrangements.

You must NOT get a dog just because you will be living with your boyfriend. You are just starting out, and to insert a dog into that new situation - which may or may not be long term - is not a responsible mature act. Give yourself at least a year, but really, you should wait until you own your own home. I have rescued far too many dogs that are being evicted by a landlord on a Friday night in a hurry. Poor planning kills dogs, and lots of them.

When and if you get a dog, get the RIGHT dog - if you still ive in an apartment or a condo, get a Greyhound off the track - they appreciate a full sized room any day, and can handle long waits. They also won't eat sheetrock.

Put the dog in YOUR name only. You can share all you want, but not the dog. Someone needs to have full title when you break up, or you will be in court or be chasing your dog and your ex down the road. Your lawyer will appreciate it.

I say these things because relationships seem like all roses when they start out - but until you have your own place, and are really in a longterm relationship, you should never bet a dog's existence on any of it. Dogs are great, but when they lose out, they are in danger of being abused, passed around and killed, and there is a very direct line from a young couple in a newly rented apartment with the wrong breed, and Craig's List, where very bad things happen.

Source(s): many years in rescue
  • Kelly

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/w3GZL

Welsh Corgis can make excellent pets, for the right people and conditions. With the correct introduction, a Corgi will get along with another dog nicely. For a well bred you can expect to pay anywhere around $1000.

The owner of the dog needs to know how to "operate" the dog, same way you can get into a car that's in perfect running order but if you don't know how to drive you won't have much luck making the car go anywhere. If the owner doesn't know how to maintain the training, the dog will soon become untrained again. Read more here https://tr.im/sG93v

People seem to think that once a dog is trained, that's it. Not true. You must reinforce the dog's training every single day in some way. It's best if the owner and the dog go together to get trained. As a professional trainer once said to me "We can train any dog in 2 days. It takes longer to train the owners

ah to be young and in love and so without a clue.

Yes they make good pets with the right training, temperament and the right owner - same as every other dog on the face of the planet. The ones I have met were friendly.

NOW that said here is some advice from a much wiser woman - don't get the dog until you two have been together and settled for at LEAST one year. Second before you even get the dog you two need to sit down and discuss who will be the legal owner of this dog. The last thing you want is to be fighting over who gets fluffy if you two split up.

ETA: Never said you shouldn't move in with him. I said you should WAIT on getting a dog together. Living with people DOES change things because then you see all of them, the things you don't see/know about them when you aren't there. Rushing into getting a dog ANY breed will backfire. You two need to get settled in before you even think of making what will be a 10+ year commitment to a dog.

I had a pembroke, henry, who passed away in August. As long as you have patience and time, they are one of the most affectionate, loyal and gentle dogs. They are quirky, intelligent, funny and driven by their stomachs. To people who say they are destructive, you must not actually know a corgi or trained him/her properly. I loved my dog. I would get another one again. Get one after you move.

• They are great pets, for adults who are settled in life and aren't going to through the transition of teenagers.

You need to wait until you have a home and are more settled before you even consider getting a dog. There are thousands of dogs on craigslist that come from situations like yours - they got a dog when they moved out and now they are moving some place where they can't have it, they broke up with their BF, they no longer have the time, whatever.

No dog for quite awhile. Sorry.

• Max

From what I know, they make good pets. Do decide what will happen to the dog when you two split up, so that it doesnt end up being put to death in a shelter. I know that relationships formed at age 18 never end, but humor me.