A cult is any authoritarian group that denies the deity of Jesus Christ, and uses thought reform, coercive persuasion, deception and fear to manipulate and control its members. J.W.s-yes
Signs of a cult.:
1. Absolute authoritarianism without accountability. No tolerance for questions or critical inquiry. JWs yes
2. No financial disclosure regarding budget, expenses such as an independently audited financial statement. JWs-yes
3 .Unreasonable fear about the outside world, such as impending catastrophe, evil conspiracies and persecutions. JWs-yes (Armageddon)
4.There is no legitimate reason to leave, former followers are always wrong, negative or even evil for having left. JWs-yes
5. Former members often relate the same stories of abuse and reflect a similar pattern of grievances. Yes
6. There are records, books, news articles, or television programs that document the abuses of the organization. Yes-child sexual abuse
7. Followers feel they can never be "good enough". Adherents say that they don't ever feel like they are living up to the organization's demands. True
8. The organization is always right. Questioning is equated to questioning God. True
19. The organization is the exclusive means of knowing "truth" or receiving validation, no other process of discovery is acceptable or credible. Salvation cannot be reached any other way. Yes
10. Mind control-no questioning of doctrines is allowed. They must agree completely. Yes
11. Leaving the cult they will lose everything, friends, family, and lives. They are disfellowshipped and disassociated and other members can not talk to them or they too will face the same thing. Yes-disfellowshipping and shunning.
12. Isolation from Society. They can face disfellowshipping for socializing with wordly people. They do not participate in sports, government, etc. JWs-yes, do not serve in military, do not vote, salute the flag. etc.
13. They teach false prophecies.Yes, yes,yes!
14. They go beyond the Scriptures. They use books other than the bible, or in addition to the Bible. Yes-Watchtower and Awake!
15. The leadership of the organization lies or 'spins' the truth..Yes
16.They do not operate on the basis of biblical principles where matters are open to ordinary persons. They are secretive about money, decisions, etc. Yes
17. They fail to give proper quotations for sources, quote out of context, and put forward ideas which are utterly bizarre. Yes-extreme overuse of the word 'pagan'.
18.Their translation of the Bible contains intentional mistranslations. YES!!! John 1:1-addition of the word 'a' thereby demotiong Jesus to being 'merely created'.
19. They ignore the clear biblical instructions in James and other parts of the New Testament to carry on works of love such as caring for widows, orphans, and their fellow humans. Yes!
20. They believe they are saved through works rather than faith. Absolutely!
21.They do not take communion. Only the supposed 144,00, only once a year
22. They are told that they are not members of the body of Christ. Yes-not part of 'Christendom'.
23. They are not born again. For sure!
24. They do not believe that the Holy Spirit is God. He is considered to be an 'impersonal force, God' power emmanating for Heaven'. Members are not Spirit directed. JWs-yes, this is one of their primary teachings.
25.They are notorious for their roles in marriage breakdowns and in child custody cases. Yes.
26. The group leadership denies the Trinity. Definitely! Because the English word 'trinity' is not in the bible, they ignore the dozens of references to "Father, Son, and Holy Spirit"
27. The group denies the deity of Jesus Christ, teaching that Jesus is a created being. Yes, they teach that Jesus is God's first created being, due to a mis-translation of Colossians 1:15, and the addition of the word 'a' in John 1:1