Why did Newt Gingrich want to talk divorce while his wife's was in hospital recovering from cancer?

That’s all she offers. Now, here is what Newt’s wife Jackie told the Washington Post in a Jan. 3, 1985, profile: He walked out in the spring of 1980 and I returned to Georgia. By September, I went into the hospital for my third surgery. The two girls came to see me, and said Daddy is downstairs and could he... show more That’s all she offers. Now, here is what Newt’s wife Jackie told the Washington Post in a Jan. 3, 1985, profile:

He walked out in the spring of 1980 and I returned to Georgia. By September, I went into the hospital for my third surgery. The two girls came to see me, and said Daddy is downstairs and could he come up? When he got there, he wanted to discuss the terms of the divorce while I was recovering from the surgery … To say I gave up a lot for the marriage is the understatement of the year.”
Update: http://www.salon.com/2011/05/13/gingrich_cancer_divorce_daughter/singleton/