Can a PS3 play PS2 games?

I want to know if a PS3 can play PS2 games, cause I want to play Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 (getting PS3 and KH1 and 2 for Xmas).

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Only three models play PS2 games, they are the 20GB, 60GB, and Limited Edition 80GB MotorStorm and MGS4 Bundle PS3s, none of which are produced anymore. Also, the backward compatible models (those listed above) have 4 USB ports, the rest of the PS3s (of which NONE can play PS2 games) have 2 USB ports, which includes are current PS3 Slim models sold in stores.

You will only find a used backward compatible model, so if you want to play PS2 games, you will need a PS2 (all PS3s play PS1 games).

Just out of curiosity, if you are getting PS2 games for Christmas, why would you be getting a PS3? Wouldn't you want to get PS3 games to play on a PS3, not PS2 games? Either way, you will need a PS2 (which is recommended anyway, because the PS2 won't have issues playing the PS2 games) to play the KH games.

**EDIT**

Cesar is wrong, the 40GB does NOT play PS2 games, and there are two 80GB models, one is the Limited Edition 80GB MotorStorm and MGS4 Bundle (it can play PS2 games, and has 4 USB ports), the other 80GB model is a non-Limited Edition model that can NOT play PS2 games, and it has 2 USB ports.

If the PS3 has 4 USB ports (20GB, 60GB, and Limited Edition 80GB MotorStorm and MGS4 Bundle PS3s), it can play PS2 games.

• Login to reply the answers
  • kinzer
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

nicely the only ones that are backwards nicely suited are the 20 GB, 60GB, and a few 80GB fashions now each and all the PS3s that are bought in shops are no longer backwards nicely suited many times if a PS3s has 4 usb slots and a memory card readers you will possibly have a backwards nicely suited and if it only has 2 usb slots then it is not backwards nicely suited the only places you will locate the BC PS3s may be ebay and nowhere else do no longer hear to matt he's a s***field 360 fanboy

• JD
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

Depends, there is a 60gb version of the ps3 that can play ps2 games, but i think they stop making them so you'll have to get it used of ebay or something, the other versions cannot play ps2 games.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Yes, my friend was able to, BUT he had to crack his ps3 with some guy who put in a new chip. The ps2 games ran well, but ps3 games started glitching. Also, he wasn't able to play online EVER again, so he ended up buying a new system.

Source(s): Friend
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

ps3 40gb/60gb/80gb can only play ps2 games

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

No

• 8 years ago

no it cant

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.