How do you become a firefighter?

Is it a hard process? Btw, I notice most are tall strong white men.... I'm a 17 year old Puerto Rican dude, not to sound racist but would that be held against me? Do they get paid well?

I'm in NYC btw....

Best Answer

This will vary greatly depending on what part of the country you live in. I speak from the Pacific North West perspective. Competition for fire jobs here is pretty fierce. Physical fitness is a key element, so stay fit. Team sports are good for this. Most agencies in my area are mostly interested in Paramedics. So getting EMT certified at any level will be a good idea. Becoming a volunteer resident or looking for some sort of volunteer program is also helpful. Go to a local fire station and ask the crew on duty. I am sure they will have some good tips

Source(s): 12 years police, fire liaison
  • Jack

Take the FDNY test. They have a web site.

You just get a hose and start spraying! There, now you are a firefighter! Congrats!