Need a higher flow rate kitchen faucet?

I have a low flow rate problem in my house ONLY with the kitchen faucet. All the bath faucets, showers, tub etc all exhibit normal (higher) flow rates. I measured the flow rate at the kitchen faucet & it is abnormally low ie., about 1/3 GPM only. This is from a Delta single handle kitchen faucet that I installed back in May of this year. At that rate it takes too long to do the dishes (we still do them by hand ;) The things I have tried are as follows:

1) replaced faucet twice in 3 years. Initially the new faucets flow fine then the performance seems to slowly degrade over time. A repair person told me we would never get good flow out of the kitchen faucet due to the faucet design which incorporates a small line inside the spout, which tends to clog w/ water impurities (we are on a well). Again, when initially installed the faucet flow was fine, even w/ the aerator/flow restrictor installed.

2) as the performance began to degrade over time, I replaced the original aerator w/ the highest flow aerator I could find (2.5 GPM I think) then removed it altogether. Problem remains.

3) recently I removed & replaced the valve cartridge w/ a brand new Delta replacement part. Problem remains. In fact, there was no difference in flow rate using the old vs the new cartridge.

4) once the faucet was apart (w/ the mixing valve cartridge removed), I tested the pressure to the faucet by placing a bucket over the faucet to redirect the spray & slowly turning on the supply lines. There was plenty of pressure out of the water lines as the water shot up like geysers & literally would have reached the ceiling had I not had the bucket in place :) This also helped flush any potential debris out the lines. Reinstalled the new valve cartridge....problem remains.

5) the sprayer attachment that came w/ the faucet exhibits the normal expected flow rate which tends to reinforce the belief that the faucet design itself is inadequate.

So I believe what I need is a faucet designed to allow a higher flow rate that doesn't have the limiting tube inside the spout. One that I could remove the water restrictor/aerator (if necessary) & have maximum flow out of the faucet. Does anyone know which faucet manufacturers I should be looking at? Are commercial/industrial faucets designed differently, should I focus my search on those? If anyone has any suggestions please help because this has become a source of frustration in our house. Just keep in mind this is NOT a problem of low pressure at the faucet & is NOT simply a problem of unscrewing the aerator/flow restrictor to increase the flow. Thanks for your help!

Favorite Answer

buy a wash basin faucet

Source(s): maint man
  • mattia

High Flow Kitchen Faucet

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Need a higher flow rate kitchen faucet?

I have a low flow rate problem in my house ONLY with the kitchen faucet. All the bath faucets, showers, tub etc all exhibit normal (higher) flow rates. I measured the flow rate at the kitchen faucet & it is abnormally low ie., about 1/3 GPM only. This is from a Delta single handle kitchen faucet...

Source(s): higher flow rate kitchen faucet: https://tr.im/eoDXr

A question I have for you is: When you removed the cartridge was it clogged w/lime deposits or other minerals? If so then you need to pre-filter the water ( wick type filter or R.O. system) before it reaches the faucet or invest in a water softener ( I know most people on well water do not like water softeners). Another idea could be to try a high flow faucet an see if that fixes the problem.

• paul h

It sounds like your mixing cartridge is getting clogged with debris in the water lines...it doesn't take much since they have very small orifices in them. You can check how much debris is getting through the lines by removing the supply lines from the faucet lines and run water through them into a bucket...inspect the water for debris/small particles of rust , scale, sand, etc..Tiny particles the size of a pencil tip can clog small orifices in valves or aerators.

You'll either have to install water filters under the sink before the supply lines to the faucet or at the shutoff valves...both hot and cold lines... or a whole house filter at the well supply line...or install another type of faucet which does not have cartridges with small orifices. That might be tricky since most modern ones do. Also...a whole house filter can remove particles before entering the house supply lines from a bad screen on the wellpoint but if you have iron pipes, you can still pickup debris, scale, rust inside the plumbing which can clog the mixing valve or aerator.

You may look into older style double handle faucets which have brass valves/rubber washers and brass seats internally rather than plastic cartridges. Debris can still clog the aerator so my guess is a whole house filter or undersink filters is the way to go or you'll be cleaning/replacing the aerator as well down the road.

If you want to go the faucet route...

Look at replacement valve parts to see which ones have rubber washers or larger openings...no small orifices... and that will show you which style to buy. Or ask the personnel at the plumbing store/home center.

• MARK

If everything you say is true and correct, I would say that you have a very unusual problem. Before you bother doing anything else, I would suggest that you go down to a good, local, & reputable plumbing shop in your area. Explain your problem to them and see what they say. FAUCETS them selves are typically not the cause of the problems that you are experiencing. Usually it is the, areators, faucet cartridges, supply lines or valves being the problem due to corrosion and/or grit & debris build-up in them. Anyway, good luck.

My Kohler single handle (K-690 model) kitchen faucet flow is half the incoming lines (each line provides 2.7 gpm). The valve reduces the flow to 2.0 gpm and the drop-down wand hose reduces the flow to 1.3 gpm. Have you tried blowing the wand hose out from the discharge end to remove any obstructions?

I would suggest a filter on the inlet to the faucet to remove the material that maybe plugging the faucet. Filters are cheaper to replace than faucets