Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 9 years ago

is a person required to have medicare?

is a person required to have medicare?

Favorite Answer

Medicare part A (covering hospital and inpatient services) is automatic- this is an earned and free benefit if you (or your spouse) have worked for at least 10 years in the United States. Medicare Part B (covering outpatient care such as Doctors/ Physical Therapy/ Medical Supplies) is optional and costs a monthly fee. You can decline to enroll in Part B but doing so will limit your ability to find other insurance and if you decide later that your decision to decline Part B was foolish you will be charged a penalty for late enrollment. If you dont need Medicare Part B because you have other coverage that is considered just as good or better you may have some options (these options could help ensure that you will not pay a penalty for late enrollment) I would call 1-800-medicare and discuss your situation in order to get more details. I would NOT suggest that you decline Medicare coverage unless Medicare or your employer advise that you do so. Medicare really is a great program it can just be confusing.

NOTE: If you have low income or cannot afford the cost there are MANY programs available to help. To find out what is available and if you qualify call 1-800- Medicare

Source(s): medicare.gov
  • Kini

You can disenroll from Medicare if you dont want it, but why would you? If you have other insurance at work or from your husband you may still have to enroll in Medicare as your primary coverage. You are automatically enrolled within 90 days of your 65th birthday unless you write to the Social Security main office and disenroll from Part A and Part B if that is your intention.

You can refuse it and not pay the Part B or the supplement/Rx plan. It'll be your insurance they'll use first. I thought about that, too. But, If your eligible as I am in my situation, seems that the money I spend could be used to get an insurance policy, but it would be individual, Medicare is group insurance, quite costly for 20% if you don't have supplement plan or Rx plan. You'll still have Part A, you just have to notify them. I guess you could have your own insurance if you can afford it, they can clean you out or refuse you with certain conditions, same as with medicare supplements. You have to "qualify". Why, I don' t know, because insurance companies cannot refuse pre existing conditions, don't see why Medicare supplement plans are different. Those rates are competitive, guess they didn't think about that part for some of us. Have to make a note of it. Call them, 1-800-medicare. I don't think you can have both, when my mom reached 65, Tricare put her over to Medicare, but she could still use the military pharmacy, I suppose the clinics w copay, IDK. she died in 2005. Seemed ok with her healthcare, the docs of course loved that insurance, we don't think they took very good care of her, though. I'd be curious to learn the answer.

• ?

Mandatory that you do. If you fail to sign up for the program 3 months prior to your 65th birthday the amount of premium you are charged increases. Even if you have great private coverage the moment you turn 65 it becomes the Secondary Payee and Medicare the first.

Government deciding what's good for you.

Diabetes might be helped easily by taking on a handful of change in lifestyle. Learn here https://tr.im/Zwl1J

The diet plan really should be made up of plenty of fiber and also wholesome foods. Eat four to 6 meals/snacks spread equally throughout a day. Commence doing exercises routinely. Supplements could help too. Flax oil, daily multivitamin, bitter melon, garlic, onion, and stevia might help.

I just read all of these answers to my question. The real conundrum is trying to decide which one to believe! So, I will just have to go to the source. Thanx guys!