What are everyones thoughts on Senate bill 1867?

What does everyone think? Is this necessary, too much, or not enough? For those that don't know, the bill basically allows the government to arrest and anyone if the government suspects/claims they have connections to any terrorist organization. Problem is this would allow them to even hold American citizens without trial or rights. Please correct me if I understood any part of this bill. But this is what it appears to mean. What is everyones thoughts on this?

Yeah I pretty much agree with you guys, I mean if the bill was really only used on potential terrorists it would not be horrible but either way, US citizens need to have the right to trial (Not giving a trial goes against what this nation was founded on) and also Its almost guaranteed that down the road (If it passes) It will be exploited and the government will have the power of, say Hitler, or any dictator or be able to do things like the KBG.

The Founding Fathers, frown on you Senate!

It is a direct violation, so the court has the moral and lawful duty to shoot it down.

Best Answer

I agree with the bill in principle but not in practice. I do think that if you are suspected of being a traitor that you forfeit any claims you have to US rights and protections, but enthusiasm for such a measure is greater tempered by the fact that as human beings we make mistakes. Since we could never hope to be 100% sure that the person(s) being accused of plotting terrorism against the US are in fact guilty I would have to throw my lot in with the opposition on this one and demand that the bill be blocked.

The bill is way over the top! Even real terrorists deserve to have a trial. Not just that either. Who's to say that they won't just start arresting people (they wouldn't even need to give a reason ) Oh, wait doesn't that sound a lot like what Hitler did to the Jews and others that he didn't like?

Wait really?

I don't think I need to worry too much about it; the Supreme Court just HAS to shoot it down. Isn't it in direct violation of the Bill of Rights? At least for U.S. citizens...

I think it's terrifying and that Obama needs to veto it. You're interpreting it correctly, as far as I know (unfortunately).