Would it be possible to be a nurse and major in pediatrics at the same time?

Hey, I'm interested in becoming a pediatrician some day, and I'm currently a senior in high school thinking of what to major in... However, I'd like to have something in to start off with and follow, (Nursing preferred), while being able to pursue that top goal of being a pediatrician at the same time. Would this be considered somewhat manageable at all? Thanks!

Favorite Answer

Pediatrics is not a major, but an area of specialty for certain health care professionals.

A BSN is not an optimal degree for applying to Medical School. It lacks that higher math and science you will need in Med School and for the knowledge to score well on the MCAT to be accepted into Med School.

Even if you did manage to take another year of classes after getting your BSN, there is no way you can work while in Med School. You will be studying way too much to even pick up a shift on the weekend as an RN.

Take a long look at what you really want to do and if being a Pediatrician is your goal, get an undergrad degree (Bachelors) in something like Biology or Chemistry.

If nursing really, really interests you, then consider getting the BSN, working as an RN in peds for a few years, then returning to school to become a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner if you are still wanting to be in a practitioner role instead of nursing role.

• Lynn

In order to become a pediatrician, you'll need to get into medical school. Nursing courses do not include required med school prerequisites such as physics, general chem, ochem, calculus. I would imagine that it would be very difficult to do your nursing clinicals and nursing courses while taking med school prereqs. Med school is very competitive and becoming an RN takes a lot of time and commitment. If your ultimate goal is to become a pediatrician, I'd recommend focusing on getting good grades in the prereq courses and studying for mcat.